Ely club’s Ella makes history with Gog Magog Junior Masters victory
- Credit: Archant
A golf prospect from Witchford has made history by becoming the first female to be crowned Gog Magog Golf Club Junior Masters champion.
Witchford Village College student Ella Mason fired an excellent round of 78, just four over par, to lift the tour title at the Cambridge club.
She is the first girl to bag the scratch title since Hannah Coles took the honours in 2002.
Ella is also celebrating after being selected for the England Girls under 16 East Midland Regional squad.
The Ely City Golf Club junior took part in an intensive two-day trial at Woodhall Spa – voted the country’s best inland course by Golf World Magazine – and the local club’s co-ordinator, Mark Smith, said: “Practice has really paid off for Ella this year.
You may also want to watch:
“She puts in the hours and we all wish her well with her development with the England squad.”
- 1 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 2 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 3 Daughter sets fire to father's bedroom after food outrage
- 4 Police buy clothes for Iranian children rescued from lorry
- 5 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 6 Sparkling sake brewery launches in Ely
- 7 City short-listed to house Museum of Brexit
- 8 Bid to ban ex- mayor running pub “a joke” says cabinet member
- 9 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 10 Have your say on plans to improve city rail station