Ely City’s upturn in form is causing panic
- Credit: Archant
Ely City are starting to reel in the teams around them in their battle to avoid relegation, according to Ben Lawrence.
Ely have picked up four points in three games since Lawrence and Brady Stone took the helm and the veteran centre back says the Robins are causing panic among the teams around them.
Just three points separate Ely and 15th place Thetford Town in light of their 3-1 win over Diss last Saturday and they remain just a point behind FC Clacton, who they face this Saturday.
He said: “We are starting to reel in a few teams now. We have drawn Diss into it, Thetford Town and Clacton and we face Clacton on Saturday so hopefully we can keep it going.
“Clacton is a tough place to go to simply because it’s not a good playing service and it will be difficult to get it down and play but it’s a game we need to win so we will go out there and be positive.”
You may also want to watch:
At Diss on Saturday, Ely took the lead on the cusp of the 30-minute mark as Austen Diaper poked home from close range.
But the hosts pulled level just a minute before the break as Matt Dixon slotted past an exposed Lee Pacey.
- 1 HGV crashes into car damaged in earlier incident
- 2 Our archives reveal the 'crackpot' idea to re-open disused rail lines
- 3 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 4 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 5 See photos of the intricate final stages of the Huntingdon Viaduct removal
- 6 Daughter sets fire to father's bedroom after food outrage
- 7 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 8 Police buy clothes for Iranian children rescued from lorry
- 9 Drunk driver failed to spot police car parked next to her
- 10 Sparkling sake brewery launches in Ely
The Robins took the lead on the hour mark as a cute chip from Townsend which came back off the post and into the goalkeeper’s arms was adjudged to have crossed the line by the linesman and the goal was awarded.
And the result was put beyond doubt just three minutes later as Ely capitalised on another goalmouth scramble and Townsend mopped up from close range.