Ely City Return To Winning Ways
RIDGEONS LEAGUE PREMIER DIVISION Histon Reserves 1 Ely City 5 ELY City – who have recently taken on the managerial services of former Mildenhall Town stalwart Trevor Munns – returned to winning ways on Saturday at the expense of Histon Reserves. We playe
RIDGEONS LEAGUE PREMIER DIVISION
Histon Reserves 1 Ely City 5
ELY City - who have recently taken on the managerial services of former Mildenhall Town stalwart Trevor Munns - returned to winning ways on Saturday at the expense of Histon Reserves.
"We played really well to be honest," said Robins boss Dennis Lightning afterwards, adding: "The only thing we need to do now is get some consistency into our play."
You may also want to watch:
Robbie Mason struck in the first minute with a fine shot from the edge of the box, and Andy Pettit made it 2-0 from the penalty spot after Simon Warren had been pushed in the box after 31 minutes.
Pettit then made the points safe 15 minutes from time with a brilliant 25-yard chip into the top corner, and Tom Pell - who was booked in the first half - fired inside the near post from the edge of the box to make it 4-0.
- 1 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 2 'My UK dream became a reality': World first sake brewery launches in Ely
- 3 High-flying 'humble' gymnast, 9, top of the tree on county debut
- 4 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 5 HGV driver courses set up to help meet critical shortages
- 6 Man to appear in court after smashing police car window with sledgehammer
- 7 80 ‘pieces of graffiti’ removed by council in just six months
- 8 Man in court over special constable assault and theft of alcohol
- 9 Lets get Cambridgeshire back on the buses says mayor
- 10 Daughters remember artist father who would ‘always be there’
Histon then pulled one back, but in the final minute Pettit completed his hat-trick with a second penalty that was awarded for handball.
"On chances I think we deserved to win," concluded Lightning. "Other weeks we have played well and missed chances, but this week we've put them away."
Munns has only joined the City management team on a part-time basis, owing to family commitments. He will attend all home games however, and some local away fixtures.
Munns will take some training sessions, and will help to identify new players for the club in both the Ridgeons League and junior football.
"He'll go out and find a player who is within the club's budget," said Lightning. "We're happy to 'over-perform'," he added with reference to Ely competing against sides with more money available.
City entertain Harwich & Parkston on Saturday. "They are among the teams that are currently below us," said the Ely boss, "so we need to be looking to get three points."
Photos: GEOFF DURRANT
9769GD0908. Ely are denied by the crossbar in Saturday's win at Histon Reserves.