GOLF: Ely City men’s Matchplay team set for Spain after victory over High Elms
- Credit: Archant
Ely City Golf Club’s men’s Matchplay team have qualified for the national grand final.
The city talents claimed their place in next month’s final courtesy of a victory over Kent-base side, High Elms, at the weekend.
In the first match, Ely’s big-hitting Ed Webster won holes two, three and four to finish with a six and four win.
High Elms struck first in the second game but Ely’s Simon Cooper fought back through the turn, earning his side a three and two win.
An excellent birdie from Clive Harrison wasn’t enough to give Ely the third match, and High Elms levelled matters in the fourth.
You may also want to watch:
With the scores tied, it was left for Ely’s Neil Brosnan and High Elms captain Colin Tait to battle it out, and it was Ely that triumphed on the 17th and who will go on to play in Spain next month.
A spokesman said: “We’d like to pass on thanks, firstly to High Elms, who played in great spirits, Matchplay Golf who turned up to support the match, the Ely supporters, caddies and starter and finally the Ely players.”
- 1 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 2 Over 100 modern slavery victims rescued in Cambridgeshire
- 3 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 4 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 5 Mosque trust named RIBA client of the year 2021
- 6 Police investigation after village pavilion covered in graffiti
- 7 Police pursuit of suspected hare coursers ends in success
- 8 8 of the best shows coming to Cambridgeshire in November
- 9 Fireworks join Christmas lights on the Covid cancelled list for Ely
- 10 Rats are causing 'abhorrent situation' in town, admits councillor