Ely City loses out on promotion
HOCKEY Ely City I 10 Cambridge Nomads III 0 ELY S last home game of the season saw them host Cambridge Nomads III, with the hosts dominating from the first and soon a goal up before the opposition had even touched the ball. A couple of nice moves led to a
Ely City I 10 Cambridge Nomads III 0
ELY'S last home game of the season saw them host Cambridge Nomads III, with the hosts dominating from the first and soon a goal up before the opposition had even touched the ball. A couple of nice moves led to another two quick Ely goals from leading goal scorer Ed Hugo, making it 3-0 after 10 minutes.
Nomads' defence held out for the next 10 minutes and rode their luck at times with Ely's forwards unable to make the most of chances in front of goal, but with the half drawing to a close two more goals were added to the home tally.
You may also want to watch:
Ed Hugo completed his hat-trick, and a Chris Purlant strike finding the backboard to make i5t 5-0 at half-time.
The second half began with another two goals for Ely, Julian Palmer's blistering strike from the edge of the D making it 6-0 and an Ed Hugo adding another after being set up by his brother Tommy.
- 1 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 2 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 3 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 4 Daughter sets fire to father's bedroom after food outrage
- 5 Police buy clothes for Iranian children rescued from lorry
- 6 City short-listed to house Museum of Brexit
- 7 Sparkling sake brewery launches in Ely
- 8 Bid to ban ex- mayor running pub “a joke” says cabinet member
- 9 Have your say on plans to improve city rail station
- 10 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
Stu Clarke then got on the end of a Purlant strike, and further goals from Ed Hugo (2) completed his double hat-trick and made it 10-0 to Ely.
This was not enough to secure promotion in the league, and Ely will remain in division 3NW for another year. The last game of the season will be against Wisbech next week.