Ely ladies hockey team bring home the points
- Credit: Archant
Ely City ladies battled to bring home the points when they travelled to Bury St Edmunds to play.
Unfortunately, due to a waterlogged astro pitch, Ely City men’s first, men’s second and ladies thirds home matches were cancelled.
However, second place in the league, Ely City Ladies 1st XI though travelled away to face fourth place Bury St Edmunds 2nd XI team, for an early morning push back.
They were hoping to continue their winning ways,as they were only three points behind top of the league. A win would see them continue to put the pressure on for first place.
It was a tough game but Ely City battled until the end and with a goal from Rhianne Jones ended the match with a 1-0 win.
Ely City Ladies seconds travelled to Newmarket to play their 2nd XI.
Despite heavy rain, play ended with Ely City pressing hard and spending a lot of time in the attacking 25.
- 1 'He saved my life' - Karolina thanks optician after spotting unknown brain tumour
- 2 Two suffer serious injuries after A10 crash
- 3 Jail for fraudulent accountant who tried to steal £200k of employer’s money
- 4 Motorcyclist in serious condition after A142 tractor crash
- 5 Cyclist in hospital with life-threatening injuries after crash
- 6 Family banned from turning garage into dining room
- 7 Bank cards, electrical items and jewellery stolen in burglary
- 8 Cricket club's bid to be 'loud and proud' thanks to new ground
- 9 Man subjected to 'unprovoked attack' at village pavilion
- 10 Surgery’s renovation project takes next step forward
Newmarket had a few breaks but with some great defending and fantastic saves by goalie Evie Flack, Ely City kept them at bay.
When the Newmarket goalie was yellow carded and sent off for five minutes, it looked as though City might earn their first three points of the season but it wasn’t to be.
The match ended in a 0-0 draw and Ely City earning their first point of the season