HOCKEY: Ely City Ladies 1s miss out on promotion by one point in regional league
- Credit: Archant
The Ely City Ladies 1s hockey team has just missed out on promotion in the 3NW East League by one point and one goal.
Despite their 5-2 win against Bury St Edmunds 3s, the team has ended the season in third place.
League winners were Bourne Deeping 1s with Cambridge City 4s finishing in second place, one point and one goal ahead of Ely City.
Rachel Carpenter, Ely City captain, said: “It has been a fantastic season with 15 wins out of the 22 matches that we’ve played.
“We scored a total of 78 goals with Jo Rayner scoring 37 of them!
“The team has really gelled together and we’re obviously disappointed not to have gained promotion, but we are looking forward to trying again for it next season.”
A spokesman for Ely City added: “We’re a friendly club and welcome players of all ages and all abilities.
- 1 Family pay tribute to brothers, 13 and 17, killed in horror BMW crash
- 2 Boys, 13 and 17 killed in horror BMW crash near A47 in Peterborough
- 3 Shoplifter who stole from store 10 times in five weeks handed CBO
- 4 Girl, 7, left heartbroken after beloved rabbits are stolen
- 5 Table made from 5,000-year-old oak tree to be unveiled at Ely Cathedral in honour of The Queen
- 6 Food delivery robots taking to streets of Cambridgeshire
- 7 Severe disruption on Great Northern and Thameslink trains to London
- 8 Motorcyclist caught ‘speeding over 100mph’ past police near Ely
- 9 Princess Anne waves from Range Rover after landing in Wisbech
- 10 Princess Anne visits Wisbech's new Citizens Advice Bureau on Cambs trip
“We’ve got some great facilities with the astroturf pitch overlooked by the vibrant clubhouse.
“There’s something for everyone, whether you want to reach for the heights of the Mens or Ladies 1st teams or just fancy the odd game on a Saturday, you’re welcome at Ely!”