HOCKEY: Ely City Ladies 1s miss out on promotion by one point in regional league
- Credit: Archant
The Ely City Ladies 1s hockey team has just missed out on promotion in the 3NW East League by one point and one goal.
Despite their 5-2 win against Bury St Edmunds 3s, the team has ended the season in third place.
League winners were Bourne Deeping 1s with Cambridge City 4s finishing in second place, one point and one goal ahead of Ely City.
Rachel Carpenter, Ely City captain, said: “It has been a fantastic season with 15 wins out of the 22 matches that we’ve played.
“We scored a total of 78 goals with Jo Rayner scoring 37 of them!
You may also want to watch:
“The team has really gelled together and we’re obviously disappointed not to have gained promotion, but we are looking forward to trying again for it next season.”
A spokesman for Ely City added: “We’re a friendly club and welcome players of all ages and all abilities.
- 1 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 2 'My UK dream became a reality': World first sake brewery launches in Ely
- 3 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 4 Transport company donates advertising to children’s brain tumour charity
- 5 Man to appear in court after smashing police car window with sledgehammer
- 6 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 7 Man in court over special constable assault and theft of alcohol
- 8 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 9 Gym’s ‘money for miles’ Children in Need fundraiser
- 10 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
“We’ve got some great facilities with the astroturf pitch overlooked by the vibrant clubhouse.
“There’s something for everyone, whether you want to reach for the heights of the Mens or Ladies 1st teams or just fancy the odd game on a Saturday, you’re welcome at Ely!”