HOCKEY: Five-star Ely City hammer Cambridge City Vets
- Credit: Archant
Ely City’s men’s first team produced their best hockey of the season to hammer Cambridge City Vets at the weekend.
The local lads defied strong winds to hit five goals through Matt Samouel, Tom Grimshaw and an excellent Dan Jolly hat-trick.
Ely, who sit in fifth in the East Leagues Three North-West Division standings, go to Cambridge City 4ths this weekend.
The men’s seconds weren’t so fortunate in their match with St Neots 5ths. Despite dominating large periods of the game, Ely went down 2-1.
Ely’s third team were also on the losing side when they took on Cambridge Nomads 3rds. The city side eased to a 3-0 win.
Jo Rayner was the star for the Ely’s ladies first team, hitting a hat-trick in their 3-1 win at Spaldings 2nds.
There was no debut delight for Molly Shaw and Connie Anker as their side – the ladies 2nds – were hammered 9-2 by Haverhill 2nds. Mo Hodson and Kirstie Rodgers netted the Ely goals.
- 1 Back garden log cabin needs permission says council
- 2 Preschool 'special in people's hearts' to close after more than 30 years
- 3 Daughter pays tribute to model engineer who 'tried his hand at anything'
- 4 ‘It’s sadly coming to a natural end’ - restaurant to close its doors by August
- 5 BMX star, 11, hopes world debut can lead to Olympics dream
- 6 21st century agreement on future of 17th century pub
- 7 Change of plan for A142 Mepal bridge works as July closures announced
- 8 New bid for housing thwarted by Great Crested Newts
- 9 Platinum Jubilee: The Queen's visits to Cambridgeshire in pictures
- 10 ‘Inspirational’ teacher, Esmeralda, honoured in national teaching awards
And finally, Ely’s ladies 3rds were made to rue their missed chances by Newmarket 4ths, who won 5-0 in Division Five North-West (South).