HOCKEY: Five-star Ely City hammer Cambridge City Vets
- Credit: Archant
Ely City’s men’s first team produced their best hockey of the season to hammer Cambridge City Vets at the weekend.
The local lads defied strong winds to hit five goals through Matt Samouel, Tom Grimshaw and an excellent Dan Jolly hat-trick.
Ely, who sit in fifth in the East Leagues Three North-West Division standings, go to Cambridge City 4ths this weekend.
The men’s seconds weren’t so fortunate in their match with St Neots 5ths. Despite dominating large periods of the game, Ely went down 2-1.
Ely’s third team were also on the losing side when they took on Cambridge Nomads 3rds. The city side eased to a 3-0 win.
You may also want to watch:
Jo Rayner was the star for the Ely’s ladies first team, hitting a hat-trick in their 3-1 win at Spaldings 2nds.
There was no debut delight for Molly Shaw and Connie Anker as their side – the ladies 2nds – were hammered 9-2 by Haverhill 2nds. Mo Hodson and Kirstie Rodgers netted the Ely goals.
- 1 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 2 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 3 Daughter sets fire to father's bedroom after food outrage
- 4 Police buy clothes for Iranian children rescued from lorry
- 5 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 6 Sparkling sake brewery launches in Ely
- 7 City short-listed to house Museum of Brexit
- 8 Bid to ban ex- mayor running pub “a joke” says cabinet member
- 9 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 10 Have your say on plans to improve city rail station
And finally, Ely’s ladies 3rds were made to rue their missed chances by Newmarket 4ths, who won 5-0 in Division Five North-West (South).