Ely City Hockey Club match reports
- Credit: Archant
Mens 1s Play Game of The Season
To stand any chance of staying in the promotion race Ely City Mens 1s needed a win against top of the table Cambridge City Mens 4s. Cambridge City had probably already secured promotion but lost the last clash and had a point to prove.
In what was a very closely fought match, Ely City fought hard from start to finish and ended up winning 5-2. A hat trick was scored by Marc Hunt with Chris Purlant and Tom Grimshaw scoring one each.
Captain Feroze Abbas commented ‘I think it’s fair to say to Cambridge that the score didn’t do them justice. They are by far the most technical and talented team we have played but they came up against Ely City at their best -anyone of whom would arguably state they had their best game of the season.’
Ely City Mens 2s also had a great win away again St Ives 5s ending the game 8-1. Craig Hall and Chris Reay both scored hat-tricks whilst Callum Selfe and Sammy Dennis scored one each.
Ely City Mens 3s weren’t quite so lucky losing their game against Cambridge South 5s 0-2. Captain Hugh James said ‘Although we lost, it was a good game with lots of improvement from the younger players.’
The ladies though weren’t as successful. Still vieing for promotion, Ely City Ladies 1s were away to top of the league Bourne Deeping who they had lost 4-2 to when they last played at home. Although Ely City matched them for pace, Bourne Deeping’s crisp passes just kept them one step ahead and they lost 2-1 with Becca Sharpe scoring Ely City’s only goal. Captain Rachel Carpenter said ‘It was a great effort by everyone and an improvement on the score line from our last meet.’
- 1 Woman summonsed in connection with crash that killed five-month-old Louis Thorold
- 2 Academy shake-up as one principal goes and another arrives
- 3 Baby murder accused 'didn't say much' after life support withdrawn
- 4 Community group ‘hoping for success’ with opening of new cinema
- 5 Four doctors and a nurse off sick with Covid-19 at Fenland surgeries
- 6 He strangled Rikki, stripped him and left his body flat on his back, Old Bailey told
- 7 'Fantastic, loving, cheeky' 19-year-old killed in motorbike crash
- 8 Inquest concludes 'quiet and happy' teenager took own life
- 9 Mara is Ely Standard Pet of the Year - voted for by you
- 10 No balloons plea to death crash motorcycle tribute convoy
Ely City Ladies 2s were in a buoyant frame of mind for their match away against St Ives 3. Ely City played well with Mo Hodson Ely City’s only goal but ended the match with a 1-3 loss. Captain Gemma Neal commented ‘It was a really good performance by the team and a great improvement on the last time we met St Ives when we lost 0-6.’
Ely City Juniors were also out playing this weekend with the third of four tournaments in their Cambs League series. Cambridge Nomads were the hosts this weekend with Wisbech Town and St Neots also taking part. The U12 girls, U12 boys, U10 mixed and U8 mixed teams from Ely City all played really well and held their own against some more experienced sides. David Carford, head coach for the Juniors commented ‘The teams are all showing a huge amount of improvement and confidence in their games. And they looked as though they were enjoying themselves!’