A mixed start to Ely City Hockey Club’s season
- Credit: Archant
Ely City Ladies 1s won 3-1 away at Wisbech Town Hockey Club 2s in a game that tested Ely’s defence and showcased their attacking form.
Goals came from Jo Raynor and Hannah Brown and Natalie Jones took player of the match for her relentless hard work.
The Ladies 2s played their first game of the season and secured a 5-0 home victory against Huntington 2s in a game which saw Ely dominate play ending the game without their goalkeeper getting a touch of the ball.
The first half saw Ely mount waves of attack against a Huntington defence who had experience on their side and Ely did not win their first goal until moments before half time when Indea Cranner tapped a shot which had been deflected in the air into the back of the net.
The second half was much of the same with more goals coming from Charlotte Dobson, Indea Cranner, Xenia Marshall and Alexandra Marshall. Player of the match went to Annabelle Gilbert for showing calm under pressure in defence to ensure that Ely maintained a clean sheet.
You may also want to watch:
The Ladies 3s suffered a 6-0 defeat away against Bury St Edmunds, a score which did not reflect the flow of play.
Ely’s defence struggled to match a young Bury team in pace but were steadfast in their tackling and the Ely midfield looked dangerous on the break, but unfortunately it was not to be Ely’s day.
- 1 Binmen revolt over alleged bullying, poor pay, low morale and staffing crisis
- 2 Woman pedestrian in her 50s killed in guided busway crash
- 3 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 4 Ely Cathedral hosts legendary jockey Frankie Dettori's only book signing
- 5 Retired murder detective, Russell, releases first book in new crime series
- 6 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 7 £330,000 fraudster burning evidence as police raid his home
- 8 Could we face coronavirus restrictions over Christmas?
- 9 Three charged after £2m Hotpoint arson attack
- 10 Fundraiser for mum with terminal cancer to 'have a good Christmas with her family'
Player of the match went to Millie for her great speed and tenacious tackling.
Ely City Mens 2s won 5-1 at home against St Ives 5s in a fast paced game that showed dangerous attacking intent from both teams.
Craig Hall dominated play stealing a hatrick while Chris Reay followed close behind stealing 2 goals.
The Men’s 3s suffered an away 6-1 defeat against a strong St Ives side, with Liam Goodson being Ely’s only goal scorer.