GOLF: Ely City Golf Club Match Play talents head out to Spain for National Finals
- Credit: Archant
A group of Ely City Golf Club talents are hoping for success in Spain this week.
Captain Mark Smith and his team, Ed Webster, Neil Brosnan, Kevin Peacock, Simon Cooper and Clive Harrison have jetted off to the Montecastillo Golf Resort for the Match Play National Finals.
They will play a practise round today (November 20) and a pairs competition tomorrow. The semi-final takes place on Wednesday and the final and third-place play-off is on Thursday from midday.
The East Cambs team will take on Rowlands Castle (Hampshire), Millbrook (Bedfordshire) and Thytherington (Cheshire).
An Ely City Golf Club spokesman said: “The standard of golf is expected to be high with at least three players from the opposing teams having handicaps better than scratch.
You may also want to watch:
“Ely will be seen as the underdogs but hope to use this as motivation to go on and return home as National Club champions.”
The team has also been backed by Mark Nicholas from Norman and Nicholas Construction. He has sponsored the team’s clothing.
- 1 Binmen revolt over alleged bullying, poor pay, low morale and staffing crisis
- 2 Woman pedestrian in her 50s killed in guided busway crash
- 3 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 4 Ely Cathedral hosts legendary jockey Frankie Dettori's only book signing
- 5 Retired murder detective, Russell, releases first book in new crime series
- 6 £330,000 fraudster burning evidence as police raid his home
- 7 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 8 Could we face coronavirus restrictions over Christmas?
- 9 Three charged after £2m Hotpoint arson attack
- 10 Fundraiser for mum with terminal cancer to 'have a good Christmas with her family'