Ely City Get Bogged Down In Loss
ELY City suffered their second loss in as many games after succumbing 2-1 to visitors Kirkley and Pakefield. On an afternoon where both sides struggled for opportunities, Kirkley scored goals at key times to deflate the home side and collect all three poi
ELY City suffered their second loss in as many games after succumbing 2-1 to visitors Kirkley and Pakefield.
On an afternoon where both sides struggled for opportunities, Kirkley scored goals at key times to deflate the home side and collect all three points.
Kirkley opened the scoring after 22 minutes on a sodden and heavy pitch, when a speculative effort deflected past Lee Pacey who was unsighted by a host of bodies in the six-yard area.
Having enjoyed a glut of possession and chances, the visitors extended their lead 15 minutes into the second-half when a ball whipped in from the left found a Kirkley striker unmarked at the back-post.
You may also want to watch:
Ely stuck to the task however and forged ahead with several periods of steady possession leading to a breakthrough of their own after 65 minutes, Tom Pell netting from a free-kick to keep the Robins in with a shout.
Despite their best efforts though, Dennis Lightning's side were unable to forge a second opening and the loss sees them stuck in 13th place with 21 points on the board.
- 1 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 2 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
- 3 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 4 £330,000 fraudster burning evidence as police raid his home
- 5 Crash driver flees leaving female passenger injured
- 6 Fundraiser for mum with terminal cancer to 'have a good Christmas with her family'
- 7 ‘I’m Lovin It’ burglars caught by McDonald's trip
- 8 Stanley, 95, publishes first book to beat lockdown blues
- 9 Residents asked to share ideas on how improve cycling and walking in East Cambs town
- 10 Golf club's £8,850 donation for dementia singing charity All In Sound