Ely City Get Bogged Down In Loss
ELY City suffered their second loss in as many games after succumbing 2-1 to visitors Kirkley and Pakefield. On an afternoon where both sides struggled for opportunities, Kirkley scored goals at key times to deflate the home side and collect all three poi
ELY City suffered their second loss in as many games after succumbing 2-1 to visitors Kirkley and Pakefield.
On an afternoon where both sides struggled for opportunities, Kirkley scored goals at key times to deflate the home side and collect all three points.
Kirkley opened the scoring after 22 minutes on a sodden and heavy pitch, when a speculative effort deflected past Lee Pacey who was unsighted by a host of bodies in the six-yard area.
Having enjoyed a glut of possession and chances, the visitors extended their lead 15 minutes into the second-half when a ball whipped in from the left found a Kirkley striker unmarked at the back-post.
You may also want to watch:
Ely stuck to the task however and forged ahead with several periods of steady possession leading to a breakthrough of their own after 65 minutes, Tom Pell netting from a free-kick to keep the Robins in with a shout.
Despite their best efforts though, Dennis Lightning's side were unable to forge a second opening and the loss sees them stuck in 13th place with 21 points on the board.
- 1 Man dies after falling from bridge on A14 between Histon and Milton
- 2 Rogue trader tells victim: 'I'll knock your lights out'
- 3 Hickford QUITS ahead of damning report
- 4 Delivery riders and drivers wanted as Deliveroo launches in Ely
- 5 Golf club urges locals and dog walkers to ‘respect our private land’
- 6 Council leader under fire for 'culture of bullying' in wake of farmgate scandal
- 7 Letter: Four new members join 'splash pad headquarters'
- 8 My opinion on Fen Biosphere
- 9 Career mentor's 100k charity run aims to raise £1,000
- 10 Councillor says MP Steve Barclay told Tories to return £10k lockdown grant