Ely City beat Clacton Town
RIDGEONS LEAGUE ELY City twice came from behind to beat a useful-looking Clacton Town side on Saturday to stay on the heels of Division One leaders Tiptree United. Simon Warren s own goal put Clacton ahead, but Andy Pettit soon got the hosts back on terms
ELY City twice came from behind to beat a useful-looking Clacton Town side on Saturday to stay on the heels of Division One leaders Tiptree United.
Simon Warren's own goal put Clacton ahead, but Andy Pettit soon got the hosts back on terms after good work by Robbie Mason.
The Essex side led again at the start of the second period, only to quickly concede an equaliser once more.
This time it was Tony Brown who levelled the scores, and City finally took control after that to win 4-2 with a brace from Mason.
"That's got to rate amongst our best performances of the season," said 'Robins' boss Dennis Lightning afterwards.
- 1 Petition launched to save village pub
- 2 Two food businesses closed after cockroach infestations found
- 3 Pub company comes out fighting to keep controversial cuppa sign
- 4 Police ‘increasingly concerned’ for woman missing since Wednesday
- 5 Teenage moped rider seriously injured in crash
- 6 Murder trial jury told mother said she could not have children
- 7 College pupils bring School of Rock to life on stage
- 8 Man suffers injuries after A142 morning crash
- 9 Father accused of baby daughter's murder gave her squash, court told
- 10 Zip-shaped mark on Rikki's body came from his anorak – the one used to strangle him, court told
Ely entertained Cambridge City in the Cambs Invitation Cup on Tuesday evening, but Lightning described the tie as: "A match we could have done without."
He is much more concerned with Saturday's visit to Division One leaders Tiptree, who are 10 points clear of City but have played two games more.