Ely City 2-1 Histon: Boss Brady Stone slams refereeing decisions as Robins seal Cambs Invitation Cup semi-final spot
- Credit: Archant
Brady Stone had some choice words to say about the referee that oversaw Ely City’s 2-1 Cambs Invitation Cup success over Histon last night.
The Robins booked their place in the semi-finals of the competition with an impressive display, but the performance of the match officials was the main talking point after the full-time whistle at the Unwin Ground.
Ash Walter was given his marching orders after two yellow cards, visitors Histon were awarded two spot kicks and Ely were denied a penalty of their own during the eventful knock-out clash.
“I’ve never seen anything like it,” Stone said.
“I can’t say too much about it but the only thing he got right was the sending off of Ash.
You may also want to watch:
“Ash has only got himself to blame and he’ll miss our next Vase game, which is disappointing.”
Reserve star Ashley Shipp made the difference for Ely with strikes either side of half-time, earning the Robins a last four encounter with county rivals Wisbech St Mary on February 14.
- 1 'Dedicated' PCSO retires after 12 years amid force funding cuts
- 2 You can now watch Ely Cathedral’s rare Peregrine Falcons live 24/7
- 3 Outcry over new road which will pass through woodland
- 4 Tyler Goodjohn ready to enter lion's den in world title bid
- 5 Suspected paedophile, 61, arrested in front of thousands on live video
- 6 Jail for bank card fraudster caught on CCTV
- 7 Letters: How could we afford 120 police officers for boat race?
- 8 Government plans at-home tablet to 'stop the virus in its tracks'
- 9 Prosecution threat against businesses found not to be Covid-19 secure
- 10 Three arrests after suspected brothel discovered
“The performance from the lads was unbelievable,” Stone said.
“We battered them in the first half and even with 10 men in the second we were the better side and could have scored again.
“He could have had a few more but they were two really good goals from Ash and I’m really pleased with the game overall.
“We’re turning into a bit of a cup team this season which is funny because we couldn’t buy a win in the cups last season.
“Hopefully we can now transfer our cup form over into the league.”