Ely City 2-1 Histon: Boss Brady Stone slams refereeing decisions as Robins seal Cambs Invitation Cup semi-final spot
- Credit: Archant
Brady Stone had some choice words to say about the referee that oversaw Ely City’s 2-1 Cambs Invitation Cup success over Histon last night.
The Robins booked their place in the semi-finals of the competition with an impressive display, but the performance of the match officials was the main talking point after the full-time whistle at the Unwin Ground.
Ash Walter was given his marching orders after two yellow cards, visitors Histon were awarded two spot kicks and Ely were denied a penalty of their own during the eventful knock-out clash.
“I’ve never seen anything like it,” Stone said.
“I can’t say too much about it but the only thing he got right was the sending off of Ash.
“Ash has only got himself to blame and he’ll miss our next Vase game, which is disappointing.”
Reserve star Ashley Shipp made the difference for Ely with strikes either side of half-time, earning the Robins a last four encounter with county rivals Wisbech St Mary on February 14.
- 1 Family pay tribute to brothers, 13 and 17, killed in horror BMW crash
- 2 Boys, 13 and 17 killed in horror BMW crash near A47 in Peterborough
- 3 Table made from 5,000-year-old oak tree to be unveiled at Ely Cathedral in honour of The Queen
- 4 Girl, 7, left heartbroken after beloved rabbits are stolen
- 5 Food delivery robots taking to streets of Cambridgeshire
- 6 Recap: Severe disruption on Great Northern and Thameslink trains to London
- 7 Princess Anne waves from Range Rover after landing in Wisbech
- 8 Shoplifter who stole from store 10 times in five weeks handed CBO
- 9 Princess Anne visits Wisbech's new Citizens Advice Bureau on Cambs trip
- 10 Hand clinic offering additional type of treatment for arthritis sufferers
“The performance from the lads was unbelievable,” Stone said.
“We battered them in the first half and even with 10 men in the second we were the better side and could have scored again.
“He could have had a few more but they were two really good goals from Ash and I’m really pleased with the game overall.
“We’re turning into a bit of a cup team this season which is funny because we couldn’t buy a win in the cups last season.
“Hopefully we can now transfer our cup form over into the league.”