Ely City 2-1 Histon: Boss Brady Stone slams refereeing decisions as Robins seal Cambs Invitation Cup semi-final spot
- Credit: Archant
Brady Stone had some choice words to say about the referee that oversaw Ely City’s 2-1 Cambs Invitation Cup success over Histon last night.
The Robins booked their place in the semi-finals of the competition with an impressive display, but the performance of the match officials was the main talking point after the full-time whistle at the Unwin Ground.
Ash Walter was given his marching orders after two yellow cards, visitors Histon were awarded two spot kicks and Ely were denied a penalty of their own during the eventful knock-out clash.
“I’ve never seen anything like it,” Stone said.
“I can’t say too much about it but the only thing he got right was the sending off of Ash.
You may also want to watch:
“Ash has only got himself to blame and he’ll miss our next Vase game, which is disappointing.”
Reserve star Ashley Shipp made the difference for Ely with strikes either side of half-time, earning the Robins a last four encounter with county rivals Wisbech St Mary on February 14.
- 1 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 2 Daughter sets fire to father's bedroom after food outrage
- 3 Sparkling sake brewery launches in Ely
- 4 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 5 Police buy clothes for Iranian children rescued from lorry
- 6 Child rapist from St Ives has been jailed after abuse
- 7 Woman delighted to finally be a mum after infertility heartache
- 8 Have your say on plans to improve city rail station
- 9 Teen rape case prompts city market safety review
- 10 St Neots murder to feature in 24 Hours in Police Custody
“The performance from the lads was unbelievable,” Stone said.
“We battered them in the first half and even with 10 men in the second we were the better side and could have scored again.
“He could have had a few more but they were two really good goals from Ash and I’m really pleased with the game overall.
“We’re turning into a bit of a cup team this season which is funny because we couldn’t buy a win in the cups last season.
“Hopefully we can now transfer our cup form over into the league.”