Ely City 1-4 Deeping Rangers: ruthless Rangers dump Robins out of FA Cup

Summer signing George Darling (right) failed to make an impact as Ely City were hammered 4-1 by Deep

Summer signing George Darling (right) failed to make an impact as Ely City were hammered 4-1 by Deeping Rangers. Picture: Steve Williams. - Credit: Archant

Ely City were dumped out of the FA Cup at the first time of asking after going down to a disappointing 4-1 home defeat to UCL Premier Division side Deeping Rangers.

On a warm August afternoon at The Unwin the scene was set for the Robins to put their dismal recent F.A Cup record behind them and kick start their new season.

Unfortunately, this was not to be the case and a disappointing overall display showed signs that after last season’s success the Ely players will need to learn and learn fast that you cannot continue to give cheap sloppy goals away to better opposition.

Strangely enough, the first five minutes saw Ely start on the front foot, moving the Rangers side around from side to side. Deeping gradually got into their stride and as they did the pressure started to mount with chances not being taken by the away side.

Ely did create an attempt on goal when a Matty Simpson overhead kick forced Rangers keeper Richard Stainsby to tip the ball over the bar, but similar to Tuesday night’s loss to Mildenhall Town, this was the only chance on target throughout the first half.

Eventually in the 15th minute the breakthrough for Deeping came when Ely did not clear their lines and Stuart Coupland found the net despite Ely ‘keeper Harry Reynolds getting a touch.

It was two four minutes later when Deeping neatly passed their way around a static Ely defence line and Ben Lewis calmly slotted the ball home from an advancing Reynolds.

Most Read

Ely could not keep a hold of the ball and this led to boss Brady Stone changing formation in an attempt to get a foot hold in proceedings. The change did not really help as Deeping seemed the most likely to score again with a couple of opportunities.

A James Seymour header from a Daniel Jeffrey cross was the nearest the home side went to reducing the score line, but it flew wide.

Deeping continued to knock on the Ely door and went close on a couple of occasions with Reynolds coming to the rescue again at the feet of Coupland.

The game was put out of Ely’s reach on the stroke of half time when a Deeping corner was not cleared and Ben Lewis swung a quality cross back into the far post and Scott Mooney powered above Tom Williams to send the ball past Reynolds.

At the beginning of the second half saw Stone make all three substitutions, bringing on Lewis Hook,Joe Brannan and Joe Peacock to try to rescue something from the game. This had an instant impact when Peacock’s cross was met by Mason Newman whose attempt was tipped over by the Stainsby in the Deeping goal.

It was an Ely attack that produced Deeping’s fourth in the 57th minute, when a clearance from the Deeping defence ended in Tom Smith playing a delightful ball into the path of Coupland who calmly slotted home.

Deeping continued to create chances with the home side never really creating anything of not. Ely did eventually claw one back 15 minutes from time when the referee awarded a penalty to the dismay of the Deeping defenders after a hand ball. Peacock stepped up to get his first goal for the club with a calmly taken spot kick

The visitors had an opportunity to restore their four goal advantage when a shot on the left hand side was only parried by Reynolds. and as he tried to recover he brought down Deeping substitute Will Bird to concede a penalty.

However, captain David Burton-Jones stepped up but thundered the spot kick onto the bar.

Ely will look to bounce back from their poor start to the season with a win at Ipswich Wanderers.