Ely Chalk Up First Win
AFTER going unbeaten in their pre-season games, Ely recorded a great win in their opening Eastern Counties League fixture on Saturday. Hadleigh opened the scoring with a penalty as the visitors made an uncharacteristically slow start, but a tidy forward d
AFTER going unbeaten in their pre-season games, Ely recorded a great win in their opening Eastern Counties League fixture on Saturday.
Hadleigh opened the scoring with a penalty as the visitors made an uncharacteristically slow start, but a tidy forward drive allowed the backs to show their mettle and Tom Jackson dived over for a try which Jamie Russell converted.
Another tremendous drive - this time on the blind side - resulted in Sam Saunders Hewitt off-loading the ball to Jackson, and although he was brought down in the shadow of the posts Luke Cornwell made a great supporting run to collect his first try for the team.
Russell again obliged with the conversion to make it 14-3, and it was not long before Paul Finon - who picked up a superb running line and fed tight off the shoulder of Hewitt - crashed through three tackles to score on his debut.
You may also want to watch:
Hadleigh were becoming increasingly frustrated, and soon gave away a penalty which Russell converted to make the score 22-3.
Just before half-time Karl Hayler powered over the line for yet another debut try, making it 27-3 at the interval.
- 1 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 2 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 3 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 4 Mosque trust named RIBA client of the year 2021
- 5 Police pursuit of suspected hare coursers ends in success
- 6 Police investigation after village pavilion covered in graffiti
- 7 8 of the best shows coming to Cambridgeshire in November
- 8 Meet the star cast of Christmas pantomime Sleeping Beauty
- 9 Fireworks join Christmas lights on the Covid cancelled list for Ely
- 10 Council expects to spend £2.4m less on older people due to 'Covid loss'
The hosts improved somewhat after the break and managed a consolation try, whilst Ely failed to add to their first half points tally.