Ely Chalk Up First Win
AFTER going unbeaten in their pre-season games, Ely recorded a great win in their opening Eastern Counties League fixture on Saturday. Hadleigh opened the scoring with a penalty as the visitors made an uncharacteristically slow start, but a tidy forward d
AFTER going unbeaten in their pre-season games, Ely recorded a great win in their opening Eastern Counties League fixture on Saturday.
Hadleigh opened the scoring with a penalty as the visitors made an uncharacteristically slow start, but a tidy forward drive allowed the backs to show their mettle and Tom Jackson dived over for a try which Jamie Russell converted.
Another tremendous drive - this time on the blind side - resulted in Sam Saunders Hewitt off-loading the ball to Jackson, and although he was brought down in the shadow of the posts Luke Cornwell made a great supporting run to collect his first try for the team.
Russell again obliged with the conversion to make it 14-3, and it was not long before Paul Finon - who picked up a superb running line and fed tight off the shoulder of Hewitt - crashed through three tackles to score on his debut.
Hadleigh were becoming increasingly frustrated, and soon gave away a penalty which Russell converted to make the score 22-3.
Just before half-time Karl Hayler powered over the line for yet another debut try, making it 27-3 at the interval.
- 1 Baby murder trial hears mother joked tot self-harmed
- 2 Knife attack man hid over £3,500 of drugs at mum's home
- 3 'He saved my life' - Karolina thanks optician after spotting unknown brain tumour
- 4 Seven places where £4.9m road maintenance has been approved
- 5 Jail for fraudulent accountant who tried to steal £200k of employer’s money
- 6 Farmer wins appeal to convert derelict barn into a house
- 7 Jail for paedophile who photographed abuse
- 8 Man caught red-handed after series of drug raids
- 9 Drug dealer jailed after being found with heroin and crack cocaine
- 10 Sewage upgrade to continue in village with two-way traffic lights
The hosts improved somewhat after the break and managed a consolation try, whilst Ely failed to add to their first half points tally.