Ely Chalk Up First Win
AFTER going unbeaten in their pre-season games, Ely recorded a great win in their opening Eastern Counties League fixture on Saturday. Hadleigh opened the scoring with a penalty as the visitors made an uncharacteristically slow start, but a tidy forward d
AFTER going unbeaten in their pre-season games, Ely recorded a great win in their opening Eastern Counties League fixture on Saturday.
Hadleigh opened the scoring with a penalty as the visitors made an uncharacteristically slow start, but a tidy forward drive allowed the backs to show their mettle and Tom Jackson dived over for a try which Jamie Russell converted.
Another tremendous drive - this time on the blind side - resulted in Sam Saunders Hewitt off-loading the ball to Jackson, and although he was brought down in the shadow of the posts Luke Cornwell made a great supporting run to collect his first try for the team.
Russell again obliged with the conversion to make it 14-3, and it was not long before Paul Finon - who picked up a superb running line and fed tight off the shoulder of Hewitt - crashed through three tackles to score on his debut.
Hadleigh were becoming increasingly frustrated, and soon gave away a penalty which Russell converted to make the score 22-3.
Just before half-time Karl Hayler powered over the line for yet another debut try, making it 27-3 at the interval.
- 1 Cambridgeshire man kicked and headbutted police officers
- 2 Smoke plume in village near Cambridge thought to be car fire
- 3 Casualty treated for smoke inhalation following house fire
- 4 Have your say on proposed commercial development in Ely
- 5 Threat to cancel or 'indefinitely pause' £450m Ely rail upgrade
- 6 Duke and Duchess of Cambridge arrive in Newmarket for Cambs County Day
- 7 Stansted Airport and Cambridge trains disrupted after tree falls on tracks
- 8 Headteacher ‘extremely proud’ after school receives games mark award
- 9 IN PICTURES: Wills and Kate visit Cambridgeshire's first County Day
- 10 Development plans submitted for next phase of Cambridge North
The hosts improved somewhat after the break and managed a consolation try, whilst Ely failed to add to their first half points tally.