Ely celebrate record season at awards ceremony
- Credit: Archant
Table Tennis Ely Table Tennis Club enjoyed its best ever season in 2014/15, after a period of significant expansion at the club.
The Mohan family represented the first team for the first time, following their transfer from a successful period at Haddenham.
Liam, Keiran, Patrick and Christian all enjoyed consistent performances in the league matches. They were worthy champions in Division 1 of the Ely & District League, the first time Ely had achieved that honour.
Furthermore, in a pulsating final of the Handicap Plate competition, they beat a very stubborn Fulbourn IV side 5-4.
The second team finished eighth also in Division 1. Captain Andrew Maguire left for new challenges in New Zealand just before the season closed.
You may also want to watch:
Besides Andrew’s valued contribution, those of Ashley Rowe, the new captain, and Hugo Brown particularly ensured their safety.
The third team finished seventh in Division 2. Captain Margaret Chambers and Neil Weir were the most consistent performers although mention should be made of the second half performances from Anne Chambers and a most satisfactory debut season from Fred Laband. Following promotion of the fourth team in 2014 to Division 2, an eighth place finish arguably was a slight disappointment to them. However, Rob Pownall remained committed throughout the season and, performance-wise, was given good support particularly by Neil Abram and Greg Ozog. The team was captained by Karen Byford.
- 1 Plans revealed for new A10 pedestrian bridge
- 2 'I feel alive for the first time': Slimmer lost half his body weight in lockdown
- 3 Binmen revolt over alleged bullying, poor pay, low morale and staffing crisis
- 4 Woman pedestrian in her 50s killed in guided busway crash
- 5 Man charged over death threats to deputy Labour leader Angela Rayner
- 6 Cambridgeshire hospitals busy and staff tired and abused
- 7 Memorial stone for Cambridge student laid hidden in undergrowth for 80 years
- 8 Matt’s 46-day charity cycle from Burwell to Istanbul raises over £2,000
- 9 Ely Cathedral hosts legendary jockey Frankie Dettori's only book signing
- 10 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
In their first league season in Division 3, the fifth team were challenging for promotion until late on. Finishing third was very commendable. Captain Simon Braschi, Simon Bickers, Peter Salmon and Pedro Rocha clearly all performed most satisfactorily.
Ely also introduced a new 1st Team in to the Cambridge & District League Division 3, captained by the hard-working Rob Pownall. Finishing sixth offered a good platform for progress hopefully next season.
Apart from Rob, the remaining regular squad players, Ashley Rowe, Neil Weir and Greg Ozog, had no experience in playing in that league. Iva Kostadinov, their star late recruit, will play in a higher league next season.
Anyone interested in finding out more about the club can visit the website or Facebook pages on the Ely League website www.tabletennis365.com/Ely, e-mail the secretary, Karen Byford, on firstname.lastname@example.org or call her on 01353 664271.