Ely celebrate record season at awards ceremony
- Credit: Archant
Table Tennis Ely Table Tennis Club enjoyed its best ever season in 2014/15, after a period of significant expansion at the club.
The Mohan family represented the first team for the first time, following their transfer from a successful period at Haddenham.
Liam, Keiran, Patrick and Christian all enjoyed consistent performances in the league matches. They were worthy champions in Division 1 of the Ely & District League, the first time Ely had achieved that honour.
Furthermore, in a pulsating final of the Handicap Plate competition, they beat a very stubborn Fulbourn IV side 5-4.
The second team finished eighth also in Division 1. Captain Andrew Maguire left for new challenges in New Zealand just before the season closed.
Besides Andrew’s valued contribution, those of Ashley Rowe, the new captain, and Hugo Brown particularly ensured their safety.
The third team finished seventh in Division 2. Captain Margaret Chambers and Neil Weir were the most consistent performers although mention should be made of the second half performances from Anne Chambers and a most satisfactory debut season from Fred Laband. Following promotion of the fourth team in 2014 to Division 2, an eighth place finish arguably was a slight disappointment to them. However, Rob Pownall remained committed throughout the season and, performance-wise, was given good support particularly by Neil Abram and Greg Ozog. The team was captained by Karen Byford.
- 1 Pedestrian struck on Ely Road in Littleport
- 2 Mexican restaurant to open inside former Frankie & Benny's in Ely
- 3 Village road closing for five weeks for temporary barrier installation
- 4 Council bans use of agricultural land to extend garden
- 5 Former Baptist chapel to be turned into four-bedroom house
- 6 ‘It’s been like this for 11 months’ - woman’s assisted refuse collection failure
- 7 Soham tribute to 'honest, funny, intelligent and understanding human being'
- 8 Councillor hits out at 'huge intransigence' over splash pad project
- 9 Ex-soldier Rob on a mission to bring 'ideas and energy' to Ely
- 10 'A little talent very thinly spread' Mike Rouse, in his own words
In their first league season in Division 3, the fifth team were challenging for promotion until late on. Finishing third was very commendable. Captain Simon Braschi, Simon Bickers, Peter Salmon and Pedro Rocha clearly all performed most satisfactorily.
Ely also introduced a new 1st Team in to the Cambridge & District League Division 3, captained by the hard-working Rob Pownall. Finishing sixth offered a good platform for progress hopefully next season.
Apart from Rob, the remaining regular squad players, Ashley Rowe, Neil Weir and Greg Ozog, had no experience in playing in that league. Iva Kostadinov, their star late recruit, will play in a higher league next season.
Anyone interested in finding out more about the club can visit the website or Facebook pages on the Ely League website www.tabletennis365.com/Ely, e-mail the secretary, Karen Byford, on firstname.lastname@example.org or call her on 01353 664271.