Ely bowls star Ellen Falkner is on top of the world after winning World Championships
- Credit: James Bass
Ellen Falkner secured a hat-trick of World Indoor Bowls women’s singles championships after winning the title for the first time in 10 years.
The 36-year-old City of Ely bowler overcame 2013 winner Rebecca Field 10-9 8-7 in a tight contest at Hopton-on-Sea’s Potters Resort on Thursday.
Falkner, winner in 2005 and 2006, told BBC Sport: “Rebecca played incredibly well and put me under a lot of pressure.
“It was the conversion bowls that were the difference.”
She added: “There’s a lot of pressure and expectation and I’m just glad that we both performed well in the final.”
You may also want to watch:
Field said: “I was pleased overall. I thought I put Ellen under a lot of pressure, but she was brilliant.”
Falkner bowled her way to the final with a 6-5, 5-9, 2-1 victory over reigning World champion Laura Thomas.
- 1 'My UK dream became a reality': World first sake brewery launches in Ely
- 2 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 3 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 4 Man to appear in court after smashing police car window with sledgehammer
- 5 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 6 Man in court over special constable assault and theft of alcohol
- 7 High-flying 'humble' gymnast, 9, top of the tree on county debut
- 8 HGV driver courses set up to help meet critical shortages
- 9 80 ‘pieces of graffiti’ removed by council in just six months
- 10 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens