Ely Barracudas youngsters shine to seal places in regional competition
- Credit: Archant
A group of swimming starlets from Ely Barracudas Swimming Club bagged qualifying times for a regional competition last weekend.
Four swimmers – George Sporle (15), Iona Trainer (13), George Goodfellow (12) and Ciara Taylor (11) – swam to quick times to qualify for the East Region Long Course Championships, which will see top swimmers from Cambridgeshire, Bedfordshire, Essex and Hertfordshire go head-to-head in Norwich and Luton.
With personal bests achieved by all four youngsters, Iona then achieved her goal of the 50m and 100m Freestyle finals, and Ciara showed great promise by taking third in the combined 11/12 years 50m Freestyle event.
The Barracudas have now set their sights on at least five swimmers achieving regional qualifying times next year with more swimmers reaching finals.
The club was also well represented at the Fenland Open held at Whittlesey.
You may also want to watch:
Daniel Kendall scooped three golds and one silver, Thomas Alderton won one gold, one silver and two bronze and George Sporle won a gold and a silver medal.
Orla Harrison took one silver and two bronzes and Jasmine Thompson bagged a bronze, with Phoebe Boyle and Grace Lowther achieving some impressive personal best times.
- 1 Motion calls for community housing review in four villages
- 2 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 3 WATCH: The Fens celebrates its own 'Ark of Triumph'
- 4 Man found dead in March
- 5 HMO or flats divide councils but what happens to rest of hotel?
- 6 Over 100 modern slavery victims rescued in Cambridgeshire
- 7 Jail for 'despicable' burglary on 93-year-old man with dementia
- 8 MP oversees climate change mock debate at Ely College
- 9 Pubs team up to raise £3,500 for British Heart Foundation
- 10 Church to hold churchyards training day
The Barracudas are looking for volunteers to help put on their swimming sessions. If you would like to get involved then please contact email@example.com.