Ely 2s Score Comfortable Win
ELY 2s strong start to the season continued unabated at the weekend as they scored a comfortable 6-2 win over Spalding 2. Warren Dennis team came into the game on the back of four straight victories in the league, and their winning run showed no signs of
ELY 2s strong start to the season continued unabated at the weekend as they scored a comfortable 6-2 win over Spalding 2.
Warren Dennis' team came into the game on the back of four straight victories in the league, and their winning run showed no signs of slowing on Saturday as they made light work of a battling Spalding side.
Ely started well and were unlucky not to go ahead in the opening minutes after a speculative shot slipped just wide. The early pressure eventually paid off and Ely went 1-0 up after Marc Hunt used his pace to go round the Spalding defence for skipper Dennis to slot home.
Spalding tried on several occasions to break with long balls, but these were confidently contained by an Ely defence keen to keep a second consecutive clean sheet.
Ely's dominion over their plucky counterparts continued for much of the half, with the midfield working hard to create further opportunities through some excellent passing play. Goals from Neil Ashworth, Marc Hunt and Warren Dennis saw Ely 4-0 up at half-time.
Spalding began brightly in the second half and got an early goal back after a quick ball into the Ely D was deflected home. Spalding's pressure continued but some good saves by Will Yardy in the Ely goal kept them at bay.
- 1 Person hit by train between Manea and Peterborough
- 2 First visit not 'a flying success' but pub deserves second chance
- 3 Sanctuary Housing criticised over empty homes in Ely
- 4 Fire crews called to car fire on railway line
- 5 Huntingdon and Peterborough hospitals bring back masks after rise in Covid numbers
- 6 MP officially begins new era for major UK supplier
- 7 Hunt is on for arsonists after 5am car fire
- 8 Lorna’s successful plea to remove £3 shower charge for disabled visitors to The Hive
- 9 Threat to cancel or 'indefinitely pause' £450m Ely rail upgrade
- 10 Child shot in face by BB gun bought at summer festival
Despite the torrent of Spalding attacks, Ely held their nerve and were able to register two more goals through Dennis to seal the points.