Ely 2nd XV Leave Thier Opponents Shellshocked
ELY Tigers 2nd XV were on top form despite sodden conditions as they brushed Shelford aside 24-0. Ely kicked off the second round cup match in earnest and showed straight from the off a hunger for the game that was in total spite of the conditions. The T
ELY Tigers 2nd XV were on top form despite sodden conditions as they brushed Shelford aside 24-0.
Ely kicked off the second round cup match in earnest and showed straight from the off a hunger for the game that was in total spite of the conditions. The Tigers drove Shelford back in to their 22 early on and this pressure remained unabated for much of the first-half.
Before long the pressure told on the visitors and a scrum close to the Shelford line saw No.8 Ricky Neal crash over for the first try of the day. After twenty five minutes Ely once again found themselves close to the Shelford line and again Neal drove the ball over the line and touched down.
The second half continued in much the same vein with more forward pressure and more scything runs deep in to the Shelford half from the backs. Far from being totally overawed however, Shelford rallied themselves mid-way through the half and began to turn a few screws of their own.
You may also want to watch:
The visitors may even have pulled a score back but for robust defence from Jon Hunt, Lee Coulson and Sam Smith keeping the Shelford duck unbroken. After ten minutes of soaking up this pressure Ely broke the shackles of their oppression and a well-worked move from the backs lead to Sam Sanders-Hewett jinking his way through to touch down for Ely's third try of the day.
The miserable conditions and adverse scoreline knocked the wind from Shelford's sails somewhat and they lost some fight in the latter stages allowing for one final score from Lloyd Palmer.
- 1 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 2 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 3 Daughter sets fire to father's bedroom after food outrage
- 4 Police buy clothes for Iranian children rescued from lorry
- 5 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 6 Sparkling sake brewery launches in Ely
- 7 City short-listed to house Museum of Brexit
- 8 Bid to ban ex- mayor running pub “a joke” says cabinet member
- 9 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 10 Have your say on plans to improve city rail station