East Cambs Weekend Football Round-up

JUNIOR FOOTBALL KERSHAW PREMIER DIVISION FORDHAM are off the bottom of the table after claiming their first victory of the campaign at home to Eaton Socon. It was a tough and hard-fought game, and the closest either team came to scoring in the first half



FORDHAM are off the bottom of the table after claiming their first victory of the campaign at home to Eaton Socon.

It was a tough and hard-fought game, and the closest either team came to scoring in the first half was when Daren Pryke produced a long-range effort.

Fordham finally broke the deadlock when Andy Short followed up to score from the goalkeeper's block, and although the visitors equalised in the 80th minute with a deflected goal, Tom Christie immediately struck the winner following a break down the right wing.

Ely City Reserves also claimed their first win of the season, and in doing so emphatically ended the unbeaten record of newly-promoted Lakenheath.

Most Read

City fell behind when goalkeeper Leigh Follen brought down an opponent and conceded a penalty kick, but Stephen Tuck got them back on terms after a corner.

Simon Farrow's spot-kick then made it 2-1 to the visitors, and Andrew Lee's goal increased the advantage before half-time.

Lee struck again after the interval, and another Farrow penalty made it 5-1 before Michael Emms added number six.

Kevin Hills scored a seventh for City before Lakenheath got on the scoresheet again, but Jose Monteiro wrapped up a fine 8-2 win in the closing stages.

Lakenheath's Ian Bethell was red-carded, and the home side also had five players cautioned during the match.


SOHAM Town Rangers Reserves remain second in the table despite suffering a 2-1 loss at Foxton on Saturday.


HADDENHAM Rovers retained their unbeaten record at home to Swavesey Institute on Saturday, but had to settle for a share of the spoils.

Kenny Holmes (2) and Phil Harle were the players on target for Rovers, but they are still not firing on all cylinders at home.

Soham United meanwhile continued their good run by defeating Linton Granta.

Jim Brown finished off a fine move in which Lee Heading was instrumental to give Soham the lead, but the visitors scored twice before half-time.

"It looked like it was going to be one of those days," said player-boss Andy Parker afterwards, but Jonathan Brown levelled the scores for United and Phil Shepherd struck the winner with eight minutes remaining.

"It was not pretty," concluded Parker, "but it's another three points and that's what matters. We're still missing too many chances."

Littleport Town Reserves ended a run of five successive defeats by winning 3-2 at top-of-the-table Milton.

Scott Dews opened the scoring in the first minute, and subsequently completed a hat-trick as 'Port won for the first time since the opening day of the season.


STUART Seekings grabbed two goals as Ely City A maintained their impressive start by defeating Buckden.

Jamie Gayfer, Michael Chow and Clark Green were the other City players on target in a 5-0 success.


FULL-BACK Sam Cornwell broke his leg in two places as Stretham Hotspurs drew 3-3 with Wisbech St Mary Reserves on Saturday.

Jim Tasker, 16-year old Sam Ashman and Ben Page (penalty) put Stretham three up at one stage, but the hosts hit back in the second half to salvage a point.


GURPAL Darar scored twice as The Vine made progress at the expense of hosts Whittlesford United Reserves.

James Smith was also on target as The Vine ran out 3-0 winners on the day.

Three goals also proved sufficient for Pymoor FC as they entertained Parson Drove 92 Reserves.

Jason Cridford, Lewis Chambers and Greg Saberton were the goalscorers as Pymoor eventually came through by the odd goal in five.

Witchford '96 beat Milton Reserves 6-1 with Michael Ward (2), Sean Eldridge (2), Adam Richards amongst the scorers, and Sutton United were also involved in a seven-goal match at Little Downham Swifts.

Billy Tillard and Courtney Harrison (2) found the net as Sutton raced into at 3-0 lead, but Swifts looked the better side for a while and managed to reduce the deficit to a single goal.

Harrison completed his hat-trick to ease United's nerves however, and Matthew Keys eventually wrapped up a 5-2 win.


BURWELL Swifts made it four league wins out of four by edging past Wisbech St Mary A.

They had a re-shuffled side, but took the lead on 20 minutes when Danny Jones rounded the 'keeper after being released by Carl Saxby.

Tom Thatcher then nodded in at the start of the second half after a corner had been pushed on to the bar by the goalkeeper, but Burwell had to survive a late rally from Wisbech and stand-in goalie Ben Cross was beaten with a cross-shot which made the final score 2-1.

Alan Sheldrick struck the winning goal as Isleham United won again at the expense of local rivals Fordham Reserves.

Sean Brighty scored twice for the visitors, but Steve Newman and Michael Reynolds were on target for Isleham prior to Sheldrick's match-winning effort.

Ely Crusaders remain pointless after going down 4-2 at Huntingdon United RGE, and there were defeats too for Soham United Reserves (4-1 at Cottenham United A) and Mepal Sports, who went down by the only goal of the game at Chatteris Town Reserves.


WICKEN Amateurs drew for the third time in four outings in the home clash with West Row Gunners Reserves.

The visitors struck twice midway through the opening half, but Mark Abbott looped a shot over the goalkeeper from Matthew Cook's 40th minute pass.

Ben Reed levelled the scores after Jamie Kirk had nodded down a corner, and he then crossed for Jamie Palmer to put Wicken in front with nine minutes remaining.

West Row were not finished however, and they managed to grab an equaliser deep into stoppage time.

Haddenham Rovers Reserves crashed 4-2 at Cambridge Community Church despite goals from Wayne Peech and Darren Woodbridge, but The Vine Reserves recorded a 4-1 win at Outwell Swifts Reserves.

Darar Inder and Mark Finbow struck in the opening half, and Dave Fisher's second half double ensured that there was no way back for Outwell.


BURWELL Swifts Reserves are matching their first team stride for stride, making it four wins from four at Lode Reserves on Saturday.

The leaders found if difficult, but eventually won 2-1 with goals from David Fordham and Mark Taylor.

Isleham United Reserves were also in action, but lost by the odd goal in seven at Swavesey Institute Reserves.

Matt Rowley, Nick Samuels and substitute James Bye were the Isleham players on target to no avail.


WITCHFORD '96 Reserves found themselves 3-0 down at Emneth Spartans, but almost pulled off a miraculous recovery.

Ollie Young crossed for Jamie Douglas to make the interval score 3-1, and with 10 minutes remaining Matt Monteith's free-kick found Douglas who headed the ball across for Nick Gough to net from close range.

Late chances went begging however, and Witchford still trailed 3-2 when the final whistle sounded.


LITTLE Downham Swifts departed from the competition at the first hurdle, after losing 2-0 at Elsworth Sports Reserves.


LIAM Eley helped himself to five goals as Wicken Maids Head thrashed Little Downham United in Division 3A.

Joe Featherstone's goal failed to save Ely Pymore Rangers 3G from a 7-1 home defeat by Oakington Vikings and Triple-S were also beaten, losing 4-2 at Sawston Keys in the Senior Division.

QPR Ely won 6-3 at Trumpington Tornadoes in Division 1A and Witchford Raiders won 4-0 at YMCA Cambridge in Division 2A, but in the Preliminary Round of the Cambs FA - Fen Regis Millenium Cup neither Fox Burwell (at Alma Reserves) nor Wilburton Albion (at Bottisham Sunday) could manage to raise a side.


ELY are still struggling to find their feet in the top flight, and on Saturday were trounced 4-0 at Whitton United.

On Saturday Ely host Histon Reserves in the league, and on the following Tuesday night they welcome Haverhill Rovers to the Unwin Ground.