East Cambs Weekend Football Round-Up

JUNIOR FOOTBALL KERSHAW SENIOR B SOHAM United moved up to sixth in the table with an emphatic 10-1 victory at Littleport Town Reserves.  There was no-one who would have lived with us on Saturday, said United player-manager Andy Parker. Jonathan Brown o



SOHAM United moved up to sixth in the table with an emphatic 10-1 victory at Littleport Town Reserves.

"There was no-one who would have lived with us on Saturday," said United player-manager Andy Parker.

Jonathan Brown opened the scoring in the first minute, and Chris Lam doubled the advantage before Dan Simmons made it 3-0 to Soham.

Lee Moll added a fourth goal soon afterwards, and Lee Heading then added his name to the scoresheet before Simmons struck his second goal to make it 6-0 at the interval.

Most Read

Littleport pulled one back immediately after the restart, but Simmons completed his hat-trick to make it 7-1 and substitute Ben Brown added two more as Soham took complete control.

Fellow substitute Phil Shepherd then took United's tally into double figures with their tenth goal of the afternoon.

Haddenham Rovers meanwhile took over second spot with an odd-goal-in-five victory at West Row Gunners.

Kenny Holmes was brought down in the first minute and converted the penalty himself, and after 25 minutes Holmes struck again from the spot following a foul on John Lee.

Phil Harle then nodded home a Holmes cross to make it 3-0 on the hour, but West Row pulled two goals back before the finish to make life interesting.


UNBEATEN Littleport Town jumped five places into fifth spot after winning 3-1 at Eaton Socon.

"We were just so much better than them on the day," said 'Port boss Dave Cullum afterwards, adding: "We played well, especially considering that we had a few players out. The difference this year is that we've got a much stronger squad."

Ben Layn scored with a far post header after Dave Beeton had touched on a corner, and Beeton's flicked header made it 2-0 as 'Port dominated the opening 45 minutes.

Eaton Socon pulled one back with a disputed penalty kick, and 'Port almost immediately had Layn sent off, but in the closing stages Rob Foreman flicked on Matt Parry's quick throw and Will Ludbrooke scored a decisive third goal for the visitors.

"The goal was a reward for his performance," said Cullum.

Ludbrooke had previously been denied by the Eaton Socon goalkeeper, and Foreman had twice hit the woodwork.


SUTTON United's good form continued with a 9-0 win at the expense of Milton Reserves.

Billy Tillard and Wayne Newman made the interval score 2-0, and Tillard eventually helped himself to four goals - including a penalty - as Sutton ran riot in the second half.

Matthew Keys also contributed a hat-trick to Sutton's cause, and Johnny Few was another player on target for the rampant hosts.

Pymoor FC were convincing 4-0 winners at The Vine, but Stretham Hotspurs went down by the odd goal in three at Over Sports Reserves.


WITCHFORD '96 are through to the second round of the competition after winning 2-1 at the expense of Bottisham Sports.


SOHAM United Reserves saw their First Round tie at Tydd United abandoned after the referee was assaulted by a home player.

The player concerned was booked and then sent off, but took his frustrations out on the official and could now face a life ban.

Elsewhere it was generally good news for local sides, with Isleham United coming out on top in their meeting with local rivals Fordham Reserves.

Andy Short's first half penalty was sandwiched by two goals from the visitors, but Sean Brighty converted Wayne Bell's cross to level the scores and Jamie Peacock deservedly put Fordham 3-2 ahead.

Isleham squared matters before the end of normal time however, and then grabbed a winner with seven minutes of extra-time remaining.

It was also close at Estover Park, where The Vine Reserves led 2-0 before going down 5-4 in a penalty shoot-out.

Mark Finbow and Darar Indie struck in the opening 20 minutes for the visitors, but Estover managed to force extra-time and then proved superior from the spot.

Ely Crusaders lost 2-0 at Great Chesterford Reserves, but Wicken Amateurs and Mepal Sports were both successful away from home.

Dane Turner opened the scoring for Wicken at Cottenham United A after Graham Hickmott's 22nd minute square pass, and Ben Reed tapped in Jamie Palmer's right wing cross to make it 2-1 after the hosts had pulled a goal back.

Reed struck from 15 yards for Wicken's third just before half-time, and Ed Richardson grabbed number four after good work by Jamie Kirk down the right.

Kirk had previously seen a penalty kick saved, but in the closing minutes Sam Richardson fired home from 30 yards to seal a 5-1 win.

Mepal won at Outwell Swifts Reserves after scoring twice in each half.

Giles Peacock and Chris Silvain were on target in the opening period, and Luke Wilson put Mepal back in front after Outwell had got back on level terms.

Guy Habbin then wrapped up a 4-2 win towards the finish.

Little Downham Swifts are also through to the Second Round after recording a 2-1 victory at Haddenham Rovers Reserves.

Scott Holmes saw his opener cancelled out against the run of play, but Patrick Luckhurst struck a late 2-1 winner after Daniel Duffy's goal for the hosts.

Burwell Swifts also made it through to the next stage of the competition by winning 3-1 at Sawston Rovers Reserves.


ISLEHAM United Reserves lost 5-0 at home to Cambridge Ambassadors, and Burwell Swifts Reserves also conceded five goals as they went down for the first time this season at Cherry Hinton Reserves.


STUART Brown helped himself to four goals as Little Downham Swifts Reserves thrashed Outwell Swifts A 12-0.

Man-of-the-match Nick Marsh - who took the place of team captain Steve Martin - scored twice, and his goal-scoring efforts were matched by both Stephen Evans and substitute Damion Clark.

Nathan Fetham and Gareth Draper were the other players on target.

Witchford '96 Reserves were also in action in this section, but they suffered a 5-2 defeat at Coldham United.


WICKEN Maids Head recorded a convincing Division 3A win at the expense of Teversham.

Jonathan Goldsack opened their account with a header, and Liam Eley made it 2-0 with a great 20-yard drive into the top corner.

Teversham pulled one back, but Dane Turner's header restored Wicken's two-goal advantage and they struck again before the end through Ian Walters.

Triple-S edged past Fowlmere Metals in the Preliminary Round of the Cambs FA - Marshall Peugeot Challenge Cup, thanks to goals from Ben Howe, Lee Moll and Scott Fretwell in a 3-2 win.