East Cambs primary schools cricket cup
- Credit: Archant
More than 70 children from eight primary schools around Ely took part in the annual Under 9 (Year 4) Kwik Cricket Tournament. This year’s competition was held at Sutton Cricket Club.
Organiser Sid Wales said: “Sutton went out of their way to make us welcome and set up the afternoon for a great festival of cricket for the boys and girls.”
The Rackham Church of England Primary school from Witchford retained their title but only after a hard fought final against St Andrew’s Church of England (Soham). Fordham took third place overall.
Kwik cricket is a fully inclusive game where the emphasis is on participation and enjoyment. It is specifically tailored for children up to the age of 11.
Each kwik cricket team has eight players (both boys and girls) who bat, bowl and field. Games are played with a plastic bat and ball.
You may also want to watch:
Cricket East organises local festivals around the counties of Bedfordshire, Cambridgeshire, Hertfordshire and Huntingdonshire from which the winners and runners-up go through to the county final.
- 1 Binmen revolt over alleged bullying, poor pay, low morale and staffing crisis
- 2 Woman pedestrian in her 50s killed in guided busway crash
- 3 Plans revealed for new A10 pedestrian bridge
- 4 'I feel alive for the first time': Slimmer lost half his body weight in lockdown
- 5 Ely Cathedral hosts legendary jockey Frankie Dettori's only book signing
- 6 Memorial stone for Cambridge student laid hidden in undergrowth for 80 years
- 7 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 8 Cambridgeshire hospitals busy and staff tired and abused
- 9 Man charged over death threats to deputy Labour leader Angela Rayner
- 10 Matt’s 46-day charity cycle from Burwell to Istanbul raises over £2,000