East Cambs Junior Football Round-up

JUNIOR FOOTBALL DIVISION 5C LITTLE Downham Swifts Reserves squandered a three-goal lead in their clash with March Rangers Reserves, but eventually ran out 6-4 winners. Captain Steven Martin opened the scoring with a great 20-yard drive into the top corne



LITTLE Downham Swifts Reserves squandered a three-goal lead in their clash with March Rangers Reserves, but eventually ran out 6-4 winners.

Captain Steven Martin opened the scoring with a great 20-yard drive into the top corner, and makeshift striker Paul Bone helped himself to four goals as Downham clinched the points in style.

Ben Amory and Stuart Brown impressed for Swifts, alongside veteran Mark Driver who had an excellent game in the role of sweeper.


Most Read

GOALKEEPER Martin Hampshire made a fantastic triple-save as Littleport Town preserved their unbeaten league record at home to Cottenham United.

"Both goalkeepers made great saves," said 'Port manager Dave Cullum after his side's 2-2 draw, adding: "It was 1-1 after half-an-hour, and in the next 15 minutes it could have been 5-5."

Luke Butcher's seventh-minute header was all the hosts had to show for a dominant early spell, and when Cottenham eventually equalised it was against the run of play because Sean Ambrose went very close and Liam Hart hit the post.

Hart restored 'Port's advantage in the second half, but Cottenham levelled the scores once again and held on for a share of the spoils.

Will Ludbrooke hit both the post and bar in the closing stages, but according to Cullum "it could have been anyone's game."

Fordham crashed 5-0 at Cambridge University Press and remain second from bottom in the table, just above Needingworth United who were beaten 3-1 at home by Ely City Reserves in midweek.

Simon Farrow's first minute penalty put struggling Needingworth on the back foot, and an own goal doubled Ely's advantage in the second half.

The hosts managed to pull one back, but substitute Michael Emms made the points safe with a third goal towards the finish.


SOHAM United moved up to second spot with their fourth league victory in a row.

"The game was over at half-time," said United boss Andy Parker, as his side established a 4-0 interval lead at Helions Bumpstead and never looked back.

Jonathan Brown's early goal set the tone for the visitors, and substitute Dan Simmons contributed a quickfire double after replacing injury victim Lee Heading.

Jim Brown added number four soon afterwards, but Parker feels that there is a lot more to come from his young side.

"We haven't really played well yet," he said afterwards. "Most of these boys have played the majority of their football for Soham United, so it's nice that we are doing so well at the moment. They've just grown up a little bit."

Littleport Town Reserves are still in relegation trouble after a 3-0 defeat at West Row Gunners, and Haddenham Rovers suffered a second successive defeat as they visited March Town United Reserves.

They led 2-0 through Kenny Holmes and Tom Moden, but the hosts managed to pull one back before half-time.

Holmes then had a penalty saved at the start of the second half, and his side paid the price for that miss as March levelled with a long-range effort before clinching the points with a penalty of their own.


ELY City A have a 100% record after six games following their 5-2 victory against bottom-of-the-table Willingham.

Matt Brodie outpaced the Willingham defence to open the scoring and Jamie Gayfer added a second goal before the hosts replied.

Brodie grabbed his second of the afternoon however, and Luke Fretwell scrambled in number four after Gareth Arter had missed a penalty.

Julian Peachey then crossed for Gayfer to head in City's fifth goal before Willingham managed another consolation.


SUTTON United claimed their fourth league win in succession at the expense of Pymoor FC, avenging an opening day defeat in the process.

Courtney Harrison and Matthew Keys put United 2-0 up at the break, and Keys went on to complete his hat-trick after Greg Saberton had responded for the home side.

Billy Tillyard made the final score 5-1 in favour of the visitors.

Witchford '96 were humbled 7-1 at Lakenheath Reserves and The Vine went down by the only goal of the game at Needingworth United Reserves, but Stretham Hotspurs are off the bottom after winning 3-1 at Great Paxton Reserves.

Michael Beeby's great left-foot strike was the only goal in the opening 45 minutes, and Leigh Iball doubled the advantage after a good move through the middle.

Iball struck again from an acute angle following a six-man move from defence, and although Paxton pulled one back from the penalty spot late on they finished well beaten and now replace Stretham at the foot of the table.


BURWELL Swifts are still 100% after seven games, but pointless bottom club Soham United Reserves certainly gave them a run for their money on Saturday.

Carl Saxby's lofted 30-yard effort broke the ice, and Nathan Hull volleyed home from the edge of the box to make it 2-0 to Swifts at the interval.

Having dominated the first half however, they contrived to conceded three goals in the 15 minutes immediately following the break.

Hull made it 3-3 after latching on to Lol Maskell's through ball, and substitute Ben Cross put Burwell back in front after robbing a defender close to the goal-line.

United hit back again to make it 4-4, but two substitutes combined to snatch a late winner for the hosts, Tom Thatcher steering home a pass from Cross six yards out.

Fordham Reserves meanwhile suffered their fifth successive defeat as they entertained Hemingfords United A.

Matt Davison scored on his return from injury and was joined on the scoresheet by Mark Oliver and Jamie Peacock, but Hemingford looked impressive and eventually ran out winners by the odd goal in seven.

Mepal Sports edged out local rivals Ely Crusaders 2-1 thanks to a brilliant late goal from Giles Peacock, who ran the length of the pitch before cutting inside the full-back and launching a shot into the top corner of the net.

Chris Silvain had previously given Mepal the lead, but Crusaders levelled from the penalty spot following a 75th minute handball by Adam Cross.


HADDENHAM Rovers Reserves went down 4-1 at Barton Mills Reserves, but The Vine Reserves handed Cambridge Community Church their first defeat of the season.

Gavin Morgan struck for The Vine just before half-time, and Mark Finbow grabbed the 2-1 winner just four minutes from the end.


MANAGER Oscar Fuller made a rare appearance for Little Downham Swifts as his side progressed at the expense of a poor Camden United Reserves outfit.

Dan Bell's opener was followed by a 35-yarder from Scott Fuller, and Scott Holmes made it 3-0 before Camden pulled one back with a deflected shot.

Bell restored Downham's three-goal advantage before half-time however, and he went on to complete his hat-trick in the second half as Swifts eventually won 7-1.

John Bartlett and Aaron Hodson were the other players on the Downham scoresheet.

Isleham United also made it through with a convincing win against local rivals and underdogs Wicken Amateurs.

Mark Reynolds led the way with a brace in Isleham's 5-0 success, and there were goals too for Steve Newman, Neil Parr and Sam James.


A FIRST minute defensive blunder decided the clash between Burwell Swifts Reserves and Swavesey Institute Reserves.

Jon Bridgeman capitalised on a defensive mix-up to score his first goal for the club, and that proved to be the only breakthrough as good defensive work by Kev Driver, Andre Goodge and goalkeeper Austin Wright prevented Swavesey from hitting back.

Isleham United Reserves departed from the competition after losing 3-0 at Cambourne Rovers Reserves, and Witchford '96 Reserves are also out following a 13-2 drubbing at Walsoken United.


ELY Pymore Rangers 3G secured their first win of the season, and in the process ended the unbeaten record of Division Four rivals Prince of Wales Newmarket.

They took a first minute lead, and Stephen Footer added a decisive second goal before the hosts pulled one back on the hour.

Newmarket then missed an open goal 10 minutes from time, and were still 2-1 adrift at the final whistle.

Wicken Maids Head ran out 3-0 winners at NCI in Division 3A, but in the same section Little Downham United lost 4-2 at home to Phoenix.

In the First Round of the Cambs FA - Marshall Peugeot Sunday Challenge Cup, Triple 'S' made it through by the odd goal in nine at the expense of Hardwick Sunday.