East Cambs football round up – Soham Town Ranger’s woes continue as they exit the FA Trophy
- Credit: Archant
Soham Town Rangers were knocked out of a cup competition for the second time this season on Saturday- this time to Evo-Stik side Carlton Town in the FA Trophy.
The visitors made the better start to the game and opened the scoring in the ninth minute when Dan Gordon netted with a cross-come-shot. Soham then pulled level when Nightingale sent a long free-kick forward into the path of Ben Sawyer, who got away from his defender to slot past Carlton keeper Steggles. Carlton retook the lead with Gordon scoring his second of the game with an angled shot that went in off the post.
Chances were limited in the second half until Steggles tipped over Sawyer’s shot on the turn, and Law came close minutes later. With fifteen minutes remaining, Carlton made sure of their place in the next round of the competition and scored a third when substitute Kevin Lusamba made a jinking run into the area and steered low past Reynolds. Soham pressed forward in the latter stages looking to get back into the game but spurned several chances and Carlton saw out the win.
The Greens will be looking to bounce back against Brightlingsea Regent on Saturday.
Elsewhere, in the Percy Oldham Memorial Cup, Burwell Swifts’ impressive start to the season showed no sign of faltering as they progressed in the competition with a 3-0 win over Lakenheath Reserves.
Josef De Pfeiffer netted a brace, and Aaron Carman rounded off the scoring to add another three goals to Burwell’s already impressive tally of 37 goals in nine matches in all competitions.
Burwell’s East Cambs rivals Witchford 96 experienced a less successful afternoon, as they were defeated 4-2 by Bar Hill Saturday.
- 1 Boys, 13 and 17 killed in horror BMW crash near A47 in Peterborough
- 2 Shoplifter who stole from store 10 times in five weeks handed CBO
- 3 Family pay tribute to brothers, 13 and 17, killed in horror BMW crash
- 4 Motorcyclist caught ‘speeding over 100mph’ past police near Ely
- 5 'Normally unacceptable' barn demolition wins green light
- 6 Ely Heroes winner, Alison, attends royal garden party after three-year wait
- 7 Food delivery robots taking to streets of Cambridgeshire
- 8 Man in his 40s suffers ‘life-changing injuries’ in major crash on A14
- 9 Princess Anne to visit Cambridgeshire next week
- 10 Princess Anne waves from Range Rover after landing in Wisbech
In NMC 1B, Fordham sit third in the league after beating Littleport Town 1-0 through a goal from Richard Kent.
In NMC 2B, Ely Crusaders were unable to move to the top of the league after a 1-1 draw with Bar Hill Saturday Reserves. Darren Brodie scored the Crusader’s only goal of the game.
Isleham United joined Ely Crusaders on seven points after their 3-1 victory over Brampton Reserves. Nathan Feetham, Scott Holmes and Terry Magill were the scorers.
Isleham Warriors made it four wins from four and now top the NMC 4B league after a 6-2 victory over Coldham.
Ely Crusaders Reserves were defeated for the first time this season as they lost 3-1 at Burwell Tigers.