East Cambs football round-up - disappointment for Ely Reserves but Burwell Swifts keep banging in the goals
- Credit: Archant
Goal-happy Burwell Swifts continued their stunning start to the season with a 4-0 win at Witchford 96 in an East Cambs derby.
Lee Carman hit a hat-trick, with Richard Chadwick also on target, as they made it seven wins from eight in Kershaw Senior B.
In that time, they have scored a staggering 37 goals, an average of more than 4.5 per game (they have conceded just seven).
Things look set up for a titanic struggle at the top of the league - leaders Burwell are only one point ahead of Sawston, who have won all seven games this campaign. Godmanchester Reserves, in third, have only dropped three points.
In Kershaw Senior A, Ely City Reserves’ difficult start to the season continued with a 3-1 home loss to runaway leaders Outwell Swifts.
You may also want to watch:
Soham Town Rangers were unable to build on their previous week’s derby win over Ely - Callum Russell and Benjamin Swygart scored but they lost 4-2 at high-flying Barrington.
Fordham won through to the next round of the Cambs Junior Challenge Cup by defeating Linton Granta Reserves 4-1.
- 1 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 2 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 3 Police pursuit of suspected hare coursers ends in success
- 4 Police investigation after village pavilion covered in graffiti
- 5 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 6 Envar deny responsibility for county's fly invasion
- 7 Prison escapees found with stolen £30,000 car thanks to quick-thinking neighbour
- 8 Meet the star cast of Christmas pantomime Sleeping Beauty
- 9 Mosque trust named RIBA client of the year 2021
- 10 Rats are causing 'abhorrent situation' in town, admits councillor
Tom Thatcher gave Fordham the lead after 25 minutes and Richard Kent made it two from Josh Bailey’s pass.
The visitors pulled a goal back but Fordham responded immediately through Graham Ford.
Ford grabbed his second of the match in the second half with a delightful lob over the keeper from man of the match Jordan Theobald’s pass.
Little Downham Swifts were knocked out after losing 6-3 at Milton Reserves. Sam Ashman, Lewis Chambers and Harry Thomson got the goals. Soham United Reserves cruised through with a 10-1 walloping of Fowlmere Reserves.
In NMC 2B, goals from Andy-Drew Brown, Nathan Feetham, Liam Hart and Jack Jordan secured Isleham United a 4-4 draw with Fenstanton in an eight goal thriller.
William Ludbrooke (3), Scott Dews and Zerin Fairbanks-Gilbert scored in Ely Crusaders’ 5-0 win at Mepal Sports.
Ben Askew was on target for Fordham Reserves in their 2-1 John Ablett cup defeat at Wisbech St Mary B.
In NMC 4B, Isleham Warriors beat Saffron Dynamos 4-2.
In NMC 5B, goals from Jack Hindle-Smith, Norbert Macko and Jordan Wilkinson secured a 3-1 win over Ely Crusaders Reserves.