East Cambs Colts Weekend Round-up

COLTS LEAGUE Under-10 Knock-Out Cup Haddenham Rovers 20 Steeple Bumpstead Dynamos B 0 NEWLY-FORMED Dynamos were no match for Haddenham in this cup tie, conceding 20 goals without managing to trouble the scorer themselves. Joshua Akinwumi scored five for t


Under-10 Knock-Out Cup

Haddenham Rovers 20 Steeple Bumpstead Dynamos B 0

NEWLY-FORMED Dynamos were no match for Haddenham in this cup tie, conceding 20 goals without managing to trouble the scorer themselves.

Joshua Akinwumi scored five for the hosts, and there were hat-tricks for both Josh Lowe and Jake Alsop.

Matthew Beary and Kieran Petty both scored twice, and there were first goals of the season for Will Darlington, Joseph Alsop and man-of-the-match Charlie Tunnell.

Most Read

(That makes 18, so I am working on the assumption that the visitors contributed two own goals to Haddenham's total!)

Aztec Juniors 1 Witchford 5

LINTON-based Aztecs were eventually overwhelmed by Witchford in this contest.

Ryan Pettitt beat the 'keeper at his near post following a slick right-wing move, but the hosts levelled a few moments later after some static defending.

Alex Matcham's excellent one-on-one save prevented Aztecs from taking the lead at the start of the second half, and Witchford went back in front when Joe Leyland scored with a neat volley from a right-wing corner.

Pettit struck again to make it 3-1, and further goals from Callum Munden and Jack Curtis wrapped up a superb win for the visitors.

Littleport Town 5 Willingham Wolves 0

'PORT's improved second half performance saw them eventually come through at the expense of Willingham.

Jamie Havery led the way with a brace, and he was joined on the scoresheet by Luke Mansfield, Lewis Beeton and a Wolves defender who put through his own goal.

Comberton Crusaders 2 Ely Crusaders 11

A LONG-range effort from Alex Brown put Ely on the way to victory in this First Round tie at Comberton.

Ely scored seven in the first period, with Sam Felton contributing a hat-trick alongside goals from Brown (2), Lewis Hook and Jordan Marston.

George Leech was on target in the second half with a fine shot, and Edward Frodsham struck with a fine header before Sam Scarborough took his side into double-figures.

A fine individual effort from Thomas Funnell eventually wrapped up the 11-2 win.


Ramsey Colts 3 Ely Crusaders 4

CRUSADERS took the points eventually, but only after they had squandered a two-goal advantage.

Conor Logan launched a shot into the top corner of the net after just five minutes, and Alex Hewitt was rewarded for an outstanding display with Ely's second soon after.

Ramsey hit the underside of the bar from a corner, but got back into the match with a goal after 18 minutes.

Another corner-kick caused Ely problems at the start of the second half, and this time it flew directly into the net to make the scores level.

Two minutes later Ramsey took the lead, but Crusaders seized the initiative at this stage with Athi Ambi, Jamie Simper and Dominic Hunt taking control of the midfield.

A needless shove on Hewitt by the home goalkeeper resulted in Simper scoring from a twice-taken penalty, and Logan grabbed the winner after being put clear by Tom Walker who later had a 'goal' ruled out for offside.

Ely had been grateful for a brilliant save from Liam Walker when the score was 3-3 however. Ramsey fired in a direct free-kick following a handball, but the Crusaders goalkeeper managed to claw the ball away when it seemed destined for the net.

Fraser Crossman impressed for the visitors, as did Jack Bradney on his debut.

Papworth Blasters 3 Isleham United 3

ISLEHAM managed to come from behind three times to share the spoils on Sunday.

Sam Ward cancelled out Papworth's opener following an impressive run and shot, and Thomas Wade made the interval score 2-2.

Wade grabbed his sixth of the season as the teams exchanged goals in the second period, but in a tense finish James Van der Peer came closest to scoring a winner.

Connor Smacchi battled hard for the determined visitors.


Littleport Town 3 Chatteris C 4

LITTLEPORT raced into a two-goal lead through Colt Harvey, but eventually lost a match that was marred by the behaviour of some people on the touchline.

Harvey eventually helped himself to a hat-trick, but 'Port otherwise missed far too many chances and lost by the odd goal in seven.

Haddenham Rovers 5 Needingworth Town 2

NEEDINGWORTH looked impressive and led by two goals in the opening half, but Haddenham hit back to claim all three points.

Rowan Shergold eventually pulled one back for Rovers, and Tyrell Barrett latched on to a poor goal-kick to level the scores soon afterwards.

Barrett brilliantly headed home Kieran Drummond's cross to put Haddenham in front for the first time, and Shergold cut inside three defenders before slotting home number four.

An own goal compounded Needingworth's misery in the closing stages.

Under-14 Knock-Out Cup

Godmanchester Rovers 4 Littleport Town 6

'PORT made relatively hard work of reaching the Second Round, falling behind in the first minute and then struggling to find their form.

Ashley Pettit eventually got them back on terms with a fine strike from the edge of the box, and he then put 'Port in front before Cameron James extended the lead to 3-1.

Godmanchester responded with two goals of their own just before half-time, but the visitors looked sharper at the start of the second period and were soon in control.

Joseph Murfitt struck twice to give them breathing space, and Pettit went on to complete his hat-trick before the hosts scored again at the death.


Comberton Crusaders 2 Ely City 3

ELY maintained their good start to the season with a great display of football.

Ryan Ellwood opened the scoring after 15 minutes, and Martyn Lindsay added a second from Jamie Smith's corner.

Lindsay made it 3-0 after the break to take his seasonal tally into double figures, but Comberton pulled two goals back in the closing stages to make it close.

Ely's man-of-the-match was Jake Nicholls.