East Cambs Colts Round-up

COLTS FOOTBALL Under-10 Soham United A 4 Stretham 0 SOHAM commanded this match early on, but the first goal – from Joseph Brannan – did not come until just before half-time. Soham began the second half as they had started the first with several near miss



Soham United A 4 Stretham 0

SOHAM commanded this match early on, but the first goal - from Joseph Brannan - did not come until just before half-time.

You may also want to watch:

Soham began the second half as they had started the first with several near misses, but finally added three more goals through Brannan again, Evien Baird-Timmins and Joseph Bell. The man of the match award went to Ryan Norton.


Most Read

Isleham United 4 Stretham Sporting B 2

ISLEHAM continued their winning streak but once again had to come from behind.

They had the majority of possession at the start, but it was Stretham who opened the scoring after 15 minutes.

Isleham created and missed several chances, but equalised two minutes before the break when Sean Ward scored with a cracking effort.

The hosts appeared more determined after the break, and a super cross from Callum Wilkinson was headed home by Thomas Wade to put them in front.

Isleham's back four of Liam Markwell, Thomas Griffin, Hanif Osman and Connor Smacchi made life difficult for the Stretham forwards, whilst at the other end an accurate ball from Ross Grant-Royall enabled Ward to make it 3-1.

Aidan O'Brien - Isleham's stand-in goalkeeper - then made a fine save from a free-kick before a Stretham own goal extended the home side's advantage.

A late consolation goal for the visitors made no difference to the outcome.

Ely Crusaders player Mitchell Morse was amongst the goalscorers in the 17-0 win for Cambridgeshire County Colts under-12s against Fulbourn.


Littleport 3 Histon Hornets 5

'PORT bowed out of the cup after a hard-fought game against higher-league Histon.

They started brightly and initially unsettled their opponents with commitment and strong tackling, taking an unexpected lead through Colt Harvey.

Deiveidas Paukstys then doubled the lead with his first goal of the season before half-time.

Histon retrieved the deficit after the interval, but 'Port never gave up and a long range lob from Harlee Carter put the hosts back in front with 10 minutes remaining.

Histon got back on terms almost immediately however, and then scored twice more in the closing stages to seal victory.

Morgan Coleridge played particularly well in goal, and Carter excelled in midfield.


Soham United 3 Sawston United 2

SOHAM recorded their first home win after a shaky start to the season.

The home side found themselves a goal down at half-time, but came out a different team in the second half and quickly levelled the scores when a Jack Hindle-Smith free-kick was headed in by Murray King.

Callum Eley then set up Olly Henderson who hit the post from 20 yards, but Christian Cocksedge thumped home the rebound to make it 2-1.

Soham secured the points when Fabio Santos scored his first goal for the team, but the home side had to hold off late pressure with Mike Wallis, Luke Sells, Matt King and Hindle-Smith all performing well and restricting Sawston to one more goal.

Cocksedge won the man of the match award for a tireless display.


Ely City 4 Spartak 78 4

ELY were hoping to continue their winning ways, but the visitors had different ideas.

The game kept supporters from both sides wondering what was going to happen next, with football flowing from end to end.

Ely went behind early on, but continued to come back throughout the game and goals from Ryan Lane, Sam Barber and a Spartak defender earned them a 4-4 draw.

The small City squad battled hard throughout and deserved their point.


Watton 0 Soham Town Rangers 6

RANGERS easily brushed aside basement club Watton in this match, without really getting out of first gear.

In the third minute Aaron Carmen jinked past two defenders on the left before sending over a low cross which Gareth Suttle turned in, and the same player thought he had scored again 10 minutes later but the 'goal' was mysteriously ruled out.

Carmen prodded home at the far post to make it 2-0 at the break however, and Alexander put the result beyond doubt with another one at the start of the second half.

Carmen added his second with a fine solo effort on the hour, and when the 'keeper failed to hold a shot from substitute Cowlan, the ball ran loose to Suttle who scored goal number five.

In the final minute Carmen completed his hat-trick, hitting the post with his first attempt but reacting quickest to the loose ball to fire high into the net.

Tom Norton had a fine game in the heart of Soham's defence, but the team otherwise played well within themselves.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter