Downham hold their nerve to win cup in last end
- Credit: Archant
A gripping last-bowl finish saw Little Downham A emerge victorious over Witcham A in the final of the East Cambs Carpet Bowls Association League Knock-Out Cup.
The final took place last Wednesday in the Ross Peers Sports Centre, Soham.
In the final, the first two games of fours saw Little Downham winning 14-0 on one carpet, while Witcham “A” won 8-4 on the other.
This score, together with the handicap difference of two shots (15 to 13 shots) in favour of Little Downham, saw them well ahead, 33-21.
The first set of pairs games saw Little Downham winning 8-7 on one carpet, while Witcham won 6-4 on the other, reducing the score to 45-34.
The final set of pairs games saw Witcham win on both carpets, 12-7 and 9-7.
These pairs produced an exciting last end where Witcham were holding five shots, which would have meant the match finishing in a draw; therefore an extra end would have needed to be played.
- 1 EastEnders star Adam Woodyatt ‘to work at restaurant in Cambridgeshire’
- 2 Inferno BBQ to be occupied by sister company Forbidden Burger Co
- 3 Mike Rouse, councillor, former mayor and historian, dies aged 82
- 4 Mike Rouse: A lifetime's passion for books and literature
- 5 Table made from 5,000-year-old oak tree to be unveiled at Ely Cathedral in honour of The Queen
- 6 'A little talent very thinly spread' Mike Rouse, in his own words
- 7 Cambridge: Police officer had surgery after sex offender drove car at them
- 8 Middlesbrough couple found in Cambs with drugs worth around £37,000
- 9 Superintendent dons rainbow helmet against hate crime on #IDAHOBIT
- 10 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
However Little Downham skip, Molly Miller, with the last bowl of the match produced a heavy shot managing to disrupt the head so that her teams bowl finished second to save the match. The final score was 59-55.