Downham hold their nerve to win cup in last end
- Credit: Archant
A gripping last-bowl finish saw Little Downham A emerge victorious over Witcham A in the final of the East Cambs Carpet Bowls Association League Knock-Out Cup.
The final took place last Wednesday in the Ross Peers Sports Centre, Soham.
In the final, the first two games of fours saw Little Downham winning 14-0 on one carpet, while Witcham “A” won 8-4 on the other.
This score, together with the handicap difference of two shots (15 to 13 shots) in favour of Little Downham, saw them well ahead, 33-21.
The first set of pairs games saw Little Downham winning 8-7 on one carpet, while Witcham won 6-4 on the other, reducing the score to 45-34.
You may also want to watch:
The final set of pairs games saw Witcham win on both carpets, 12-7 and 9-7.
These pairs produced an exciting last end where Witcham were holding five shots, which would have meant the match finishing in a draw; therefore an extra end would have needed to be played.
- 1 HGV crashes into car damaged in earlier incident
- 2 Our archives reveal the 'crackpot' idea to re-open disused rail lines
- 3 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 4 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 5 See photos of the intricate final stages of the Huntingdon Viaduct removal
- 6 Daughter sets fire to father's bedroom after food outrage
- 7 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 8 Police buy clothes for Iranian children rescued from lorry
- 9 Drunk driver failed to spot police car parked next to her
- 10 Sparkling sake brewery launches in Ely
However Little Downham skip, Molly Miller, with the last bowl of the match produced a heavy shot managing to disrupt the head so that her teams bowl finished second to save the match. The final score was 59-55.