Double joy for club’s scullers
ISLE of Ely women and the club’s women junior scullers have enjoyed two successive weekends of success, earning wins at the Huntingdon Small Boats Head last weekend and Norfolk Sculls this week.
Women’s junior sculler Libby Milne won her WJ16 single sculling event at Norfolk Sculls completing the demanding 5,000m course in a time of 24 minutes exactly, beating her nearest rival by 25 seconds. She then went on to race over the course a second time, this time doubling with King’s School Ely partner Phoebe Bradbury. Bradbury, who had been ill during her first singles race earlier in the day, bravely recovered to work well with Milne to beat competitors in the older age category of WJ18. Milne and Bradbury completed the course in a time of 22 minutes and 43 seconds, 28 seconds ahead of the second fastest crew, which included the winner of the WJ18 single sculls event.
“It was a good day for me,” commented Milne reflecting on her two races. “Everything came together and I’m learning to be more aggressive in my racing.”
The Milne/Bradbury doubles victory was their second in two weeks, following success for the Isle of Ely Rowing Club/King’s School Ely composite crew at Huntingdon Small Boats Head. At this event the girls raced 4,000m on the River Ouse between Houghton Lock and Huntingdon Bridge.
You may also want to watch:
The Isle of Ely Rowing Club senior women also notched up notable wins. Andrea Hoskins, racing in the Women’s Masters A category won her singles race before competing in the women’s composite Isle of Ely/Rob Roy composite quad with crew mates Chiara Ferrara, Sarah Allen and Charlotte Drury. The quad not only won their race but completed the course as the fastest women’s boat overall.
- 1 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 2 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 3 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 4 Mosque trust named RIBA client of the year 2021
- 5 Police investigation after village pavilion covered in graffiti
- 6 8 of the best shows coming to Cambridgeshire in November
- 7 Police pursuit of suspected hare coursers ends in success
- 8 Fireworks join Christmas lights on the Covid cancelled list for Ely
- 9 Meet the star cast of Christmas pantomime Sleeping Beauty
- 10 Christmas comes early as festive lights couple hold trial switch-on