Doddington golfer heads for national championships
- Credit: Archant
A young golfer from Doddington will compete in the national finals of the biggest student sporting event in the UK.
Isaac Rowlands, 18, a county player and sport studies student at Cambridge Regional College, had to par the last hole in a qualifying match to reach the finals.
He will represent the eastern region and CRC in the Association of Colleges Sport National Championships in Nottingham in April, along with fellow CRC student and county player Oliver Rust, 16, who also reached the national finals.
Isaac, of High Street, Doddington, said: “I am very happy about going to the finals. There was a lot of pressure in the qualifying match and it was nerve-wracking knowing I had to par the last hole to win through.”
Isaac, who plays at Ely City Golf Club, has been a county golfer for four years, captaining the Under 18 team for the last two years before moving on to play in the county men’s B team.
You may also want to watch:
He has his sights set on a career in golfing, currently playing off a handicap of four.
“I want to get to the best standard I can in the next couple of years and I definitely want to do something in the golfing industry, either as a professional golfer or a coach,” he said.
- 1 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
- 2 Fundraiser for mum with terminal cancer to 'have a good Christmas with her family'
- 3 Crash driver flees leaving female passenger injured
- 4 Our archives reveal the 'crackpot' idea to re-open disused rail lines
- 5 Of all the places in all the city to park an uninsured 4x4
- 6 ‘I’m Lovin It’ burglars caught by McDonald's trip
- 7 22 arrests, drugs, cash and weapons seized in county lines crackdown
- 8 Heroin dealer kept machete at home
- 9 Sat nav 'takes one for the team' in bridge crash
- 10 HGV crashes into car damaged in earlier incident
Isaac and Oliver will compete against athletes from colleges across England and Wales, starting off with the golf tournament on April 20.
The AoC Sport National Championships, now in its 40th year, is the largest student sporting event in the UK, with over 1,600 students competing in 13 different sports over three days.
CRC lecturer Tom Hall said it was a fantastic achievement to have two students in the golf finals.
“Isaac and Oliver are both very talented golfers and worked hard to beat tough competition to get to the finals.
“We’re delighted that they will be representing the college in such a great national competition,” he said.