DJ left trailing behind Harry
RADIO DJ Tom Evans was left humbled by nine-year-old record-holding Ely swimmer Harry Love on Monday night. The 28-year-old 6ft Q103 presenter took on City of Ely Swimming Club s oldest and youngest record holders – Harry, from Ely, and Audrey Head, 75, f
RADIO DJ Tom Evans was left humbled by nine-year-old record-holding Ely swimmer Harry Love on Monday night.
The 28-year-old 6ft Q103 presenter took on City of Ely Swimming Club's oldest and youngest record holders - Harry, from Ely, and Audrey Head, 75, from Witchford.
The 50-metre breaststroke race at the Paradise Centre saw Harry romp to first place in 48.84sec, with Tom second in 55.89sec and Audrey third in 1min 5.23sec - more than three seconds faster than the regional record she set last month.
Race commentary was broadcast at 8.15am on Tuesday.
Elaine Hill, coach at City of Ely Swimming Club, laid down the challenge.
She said: "I don't think Tom fully realised what he had let himself in for. He probably thought he would win easily, but there really is no substitute for skill and stamina in a swimming event, particularly one as technical as breaststroke."
- 1 EastEnders star Adam Woodyatt ‘to work at restaurant in Cambridgeshire’
- 2 Inferno BBQ to be occupied by sister company Forbidden Burger Co
- 3 Cambridge: Police officer had surgery after sex offender drove car at them
- 4 'Gas engineer' reportedly stole two phones and a purse in Haddenham
- 5 Middlesbrough couple found in Cambs with drugs worth around £37,000
- 6 See inside this £1.7m country house with its own lake near Ely
- 7 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 8 Superintendent dons rainbow helmet against hate crime on #IDAHOBIT
- 9 Village café battles Covid-19 delays to raise over £1,700
- 10 Inside the £165,000 luxury river boat for sale in the Fens
Swimming club member Alison O'Connor said: "We always knew Harry would give Tom a run for his money but we were really pleased that he won by so much. Tom didn't take defeat gracefully - he claimed that Harry had cheated with a false start and that he should be tested for taking too much Lemsip."
She added: "We're also really pleased for Audrey and will see if we can get her time officially recognised as a new record."
INFO: To find out more about City of Ely Swimming Club, go to www.elyswimmingclub.org