Disappointment for Goldie in Greece
THERE was disappointment for Ely s Goldie Sayers in the Athens Grand Prix on Monday. A throw of 59.21m in the third round proved to be her best effort and the 24-year-old finished way down in eighth place. The competition was won by Germany s Christina Ob
THERE was disappointment for Ely's Goldie Sayers in the Athens Grand Prix on Monday.
A throw of 59.21m in the third round proved to be her best effort and the 24-year-old finished way down in eighth place.
The competition was won by Germany's Christina Obergfoll, who recorded five throws in excess of 62m and won with a first round throw of 67.78m.
The Czech Republic's Barbora Spotakova threw a season's best 66.08m to finish second and Sonia Bisset, from Cuba, also celebrated a season's best with 64.65m to take third.
You may also want to watch:
Sayers won the javelin and captained the British women's team to European Cup promotion in Finland last week but picked up a back injury.
Having broken the British record in May, the former King's School student had become a strong medal contender for the IAAF World Championships, in Osaka, next month.
- 1 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 2 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 3 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 4 Mosque trust named RIBA client of the year 2021
- 5 Police investigation after village pavilion covered in graffiti
- 6 8 of the best shows coming to Cambridgeshire in November
- 7 Police pursuit of suspected hare coursers ends in success
- 8 Fireworks join Christmas lights on the Covid cancelled list for Ely
- 9 Meet the star cast of Christmas pantomime Sleeping Beauty
- 10 Christmas comes early as festive lights couple hold trial switch-on
Last week, Sayers told the Ely Standard that she "hoped to shake off the back problem and get back to where she was a few weeks ago.