Desborough denies Havis time trial hat-trick
- Credit: Archant
Cycling LEE Desborough prevented in-form Rory Havis from making it a hat-trick of wins with a dominant display at the latest Ely & District Cycling Club evening time trial.
Havis was looking to make it three wins in three weeks as 35 riders lined up for the 10-mile course but Desborough put paid to his plans as he posted a time of 21mins 22 secs, just enough to pip Havis into second place.
Havis posted a time of 21mins 35secs and in third place was Tom Sykes with a time of 22mins 32secs.
There were also two teams taking part in the two-up competition and it was the pairing of Glen Clark and Ben Price with a time of 25mins 26secs that beat Jamie and George Webb for the win.
The following night saw Ely pair Tom Sykes and Matt Eley travel across to Red Lodge to take part in the Newmarket Cycling & Triathlon Clubs evening time trail, again the course was over 10 miles.
Sykes posted a time of 21mins 35secs, while Eley finished with a time of 21mins 20 secs to take fourth place.
As the time trail season draws to a close, members will be turning to the mountain bike season. On October 5, the club chairman, Martin Holland, will be part of a four-man team taking part in this year’s Exposure Lights Dusk till Dawn.
- 1 Back garden log cabin needs permission says council
- 2 Preschool 'special in people's hearts' to close after more than 30 years
- 3 Daughter pays tribute to model engineer who 'tried his hand at anything'
- 4 ‘It’s sadly coming to a natural end’ - restaurant to close its doors by August
- 5 BMX star, 11, hopes world debut can lead to Olympics dream
- 6 21st century agreement on future of 17th century pub
- 7 Change of plan for A142 Mepal bridge works as July closures announced
- 8 New bid for housing thwarted by Great Crested Newts
- 9 Platinum Jubilee: The Queen's visits to Cambridgeshire in pictures
- 10 ‘Inspirational’ teacher, Esmeralda, honoured in national teaching awards
Alongside Holland will be Michael Greuenberger, Geoff Brewster and Eddie Holland. The race, held in Thetford Forest, will start at 8pm on Saturday night, going through to 8am on Sunday morning. Each rider will take turns to tackle the course, alongside 1,000 other riders.
Ely time trial results: Lee Desborough 21.22, Rory Havis 21.35, Tom Sykes 22.32, John McAndrew 22.39, Matt Eley 22.43, Alan Newark 23.00, Steve Presland 23.12, Max Sahota 23.40, Cliff Loveday 23.47, Graham Chapman 23.40, Chris Brown 23.56, Martin Brown 23.57, Dom Whitehead 24.07, Phil Gosling 24.14, Colin Whitechurch 24.57, Geoff Brewster 24.59, Martin Holland 25.05, John Jermy 25.09, Nigel Leadbeater 25.11, Will Sheppard 25.14, Stephen Croft 25.19, Derek Ricketts 26.10, Carl Ward 26.11, David Neilson 26.21, Kevin Davies 27.49, Bob Tavener 28.31, Celia Whitechurch 29.58, Paul Hayden 30.47, Ed Green 31.19, Daryl Pickering 31.23, Don Traylen 31.35