Desborough denies Havis time trial hat-trick
- Credit: Archant
Cycling LEE Desborough prevented in-form Rory Havis from making it a hat-trick of wins with a dominant display at the latest Ely & District Cycling Club evening time trial.
Havis was looking to make it three wins in three weeks as 35 riders lined up for the 10-mile course but Desborough put paid to his plans as he posted a time of 21mins 22 secs, just enough to pip Havis into second place.
Havis posted a time of 21mins 35secs and in third place was Tom Sykes with a time of 22mins 32secs.
There were also two teams taking part in the two-up competition and it was the pairing of Glen Clark and Ben Price with a time of 25mins 26secs that beat Jamie and George Webb for the win.
The following night saw Ely pair Tom Sykes and Matt Eley travel across to Red Lodge to take part in the Newmarket Cycling & Triathlon Clubs evening time trail, again the course was over 10 miles.
You may also want to watch:
Sykes posted a time of 21mins 35secs, while Eley finished with a time of 21mins 20 secs to take fourth place.
As the time trail season draws to a close, members will be turning to the mountain bike season. On October 5, the club chairman, Martin Holland, will be part of a four-man team taking part in this year’s Exposure Lights Dusk till Dawn.
- 1 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
- 2 Fundraiser for mum with terminal cancer to 'have a good Christmas with her family'
- 3 Crash driver flees leaving female passenger injured
- 4 Our archives reveal the 'crackpot' idea to re-open disused rail lines
- 5 Of all the places in all the city to park an uninsured 4x4
- 6 ‘I’m Lovin It’ burglars caught by McDonald's trip
- 7 22 arrests, drugs, cash and weapons seized in county lines crackdown
- 8 HGV crashes into car damaged in earlier incident
- 9 Sat nav 'takes one for the team' in bridge crash
- 10 Heroin dealer kept machete at home
Alongside Holland will be Michael Greuenberger, Geoff Brewster and Eddie Holland. The race, held in Thetford Forest, will start at 8pm on Saturday night, going through to 8am on Sunday morning. Each rider will take turns to tackle the course, alongside 1,000 other riders.
Ely time trial results: Lee Desborough 21.22, Rory Havis 21.35, Tom Sykes 22.32, John McAndrew 22.39, Matt Eley 22.43, Alan Newark 23.00, Steve Presland 23.12, Max Sahota 23.40, Cliff Loveday 23.47, Graham Chapman 23.40, Chris Brown 23.56, Martin Brown 23.57, Dom Whitehead 24.07, Phil Gosling 24.14, Colin Whitechurch 24.57, Geoff Brewster 24.59, Martin Holland 25.05, John Jermy 25.09, Nigel Leadbeater 25.11, Will Sheppard 25.14, Stephen Croft 25.19, Derek Ricketts 26.10, Carl Ward 26.11, David Neilson 26.21, Kevin Davies 27.49, Bob Tavener 28.31, Celia Whitechurch 29.58, Paul Hayden 30.47, Ed Green 31.19, Daryl Pickering 31.23, Don Traylen 31.35