Depleted Ely Rally To Beat Ipswich
Ely City 4 Ipswich 0 A DEPLETED squad failed to stop Ely City from registering a comfortable win over Ipswich. Missing first team regulars Tim Reynolds and George Bullock, securing a win was always going to be difficult task for Chris Purllant s men but t
Ely City 4
A DEPLETED squad failed to stop Ely City from registering a comfortable win over Ipswich.
Missing first team regulars Tim Reynolds and George Bullock, securing a win was always going to be difficult task for Chris Purllant's men but their boundless endeavour ensured that they overcame a spirited Ipswich challenge.
Ely struggled to beat the experienced Ipswich stopper in the early stages and arrived at the halftime interval only 1-0 up thanks to a neat finish from prolific scorer Tommy Hugo.
After the break however, the pace of the game eventually took its toll on the experienced Ipswich team and with the endless energy of Dan Jolley and Stu Clarke at the heart of the Ely midfield a healthy lead was opened up.
- 1 Inside the £165,000 luxury river boat for sale in the Fens
- 2 Princess Anne unveils new 'national treasure' Jubilee table in Ely
- 3 See inside this Grade II listed former pub with self-contained annexe
- 4 Villagers can be proud says school head as Ofsted gives thumbs up
- 5 Table made from 5,000-year-old oak tree to be unveiled at Ely Cathedral in honour of The Queen
- 6 Three brass instruments worth £20k stolen from church
- 7 Met Office weather: Yellow storm and flood warning for East of England
- 8 'Energy and hope' on the agenda for new Ely mayor
- 9 7 great places to get a bottomless brunch in Cambridgeshire
- 10 Weekend closure for A142 for bridge works between Ely and Chatteris
Stu Clarke netted following a flowing passing move and this was soon followed up by Hugo who fired hard and high into the Ipswich net. Ely skipper Chris Purllant then finished off the scoring with a neat diving finish at the far post to bring the game to a close.
Ely face the long travel to Felixstowe on Saturday to face a team that have lost just one game all season and scored in excess of 100 goals.