Defence Take Plaudits As Ely Stroll
ELY City scored their first win of the new season with a resounding 5-0 success over University of East Anglia. Early season match-ups against university teams are oft considered a good opportunity to score a win, and so it proved on this occasion as Ely
ELY City scored their first win of the new season with a resounding 5-0 success over University of East Anglia.
Early season match-ups against university teams are oft considered a good opportunity to score a win, and so it proved on this occasion as Ely executed some fine attacking moves to cruise to victory.
Despite their relative inexperience as a team, UEA started quickly and put together several slick passing moves to pressurise the Ely defence. They were unable to forge any opportunities of substance however, as defensive pair Julian Palmer and Feroze Abbas held firm.
With the visiting attack subdued, Ely pushed forward and opened the scoring with a fine near post finish by George Bullock following a pinpoint pass. The lead was quickly doubled when a rare forward run by Tom Rutledge was given the pass it deserved for him to calmly shoot past the advancing goalkeeper.
Ely continued to maintain pressure on the UEA goal after the break and the lead was again increased for the home side as Chris Purllant smashed home.
Not long after, another outrageously accurate pass by Tom Rutledge allowed Robert Radcliffe to finish calmly past a stranded visiting goalkeeper to round off an stirring debut performance.
- 1 Boys, 13 and 17 killed in horror BMW crash near A47 in Peterborough
- 2 Shoplifter who stole from store 10 times in five weeks handed CBO
- 3 Family pay tribute to brothers, 13 and 17, killed in horror BMW crash
- 4 Motorcyclist caught ‘speeding over 100mph’ past police near Ely
- 5 Ely Heroes winner, Alison, attends royal garden party after three-year wait
- 6 'Normally unacceptable' barn demolition wins green light
- 7 Food delivery robots taking to streets of Cambridgeshire
- 8 Man in his 40s suffers ‘life-changing injuries’ in major crash on A14
- 9 Princess Anne to visit Cambridgeshire next week
- 10 Pupils ensure 'Eel-izabeth' comes to life for Queen's Platinum Jubilee
Ely continued to push in the final minutes and George Bullock was on hand to complete the goal feast with a sweetly struck shot into the bottom corner.