Defence Take Plaudits As Ely Stroll
ELY City scored their first win of the new season with a resounding 5-0 success over University of East Anglia. Early season match-ups against university teams are oft considered a good opportunity to score a win, and so it proved on this occasion as Ely
ELY City scored their first win of the new season with a resounding 5-0 success over University of East Anglia.
Early season match-ups against university teams are oft considered a good opportunity to score a win, and so it proved on this occasion as Ely executed some fine attacking moves to cruise to victory.
Despite their relative inexperience as a team, UEA started quickly and put together several slick passing moves to pressurise the Ely defence. They were unable to forge any opportunities of substance however, as defensive pair Julian Palmer and Feroze Abbas held firm.
With the visiting attack subdued, Ely pushed forward and opened the scoring with a fine near post finish by George Bullock following a pinpoint pass. The lead was quickly doubled when a rare forward run by Tom Rutledge was given the pass it deserved for him to calmly shoot past the advancing goalkeeper.
You may also want to watch:
Ely continued to maintain pressure on the UEA goal after the break and the lead was again increased for the home side as Chris Purllant smashed home.
Not long after, another outrageously accurate pass by Tom Rutledge allowed Robert Radcliffe to finish calmly past a stranded visiting goalkeeper to round off an stirring debut performance.
- 1 Our archives reveal the 'crackpot' idea to re-open disused rail lines
- 2 HGV crashes into car damaged in earlier incident
- 3 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 4 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 5 See photos of the intricate final stages of the Huntingdon Viaduct removal
- 6 Daughter sets fire to father's bedroom after food outrage
- 7 Drunk driver failed to spot police car parked next to her
- 8 Have your say on plans to improve city rail station
- 9 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 10 Police buy clothes for Iranian children rescued from lorry
Ely continued to push in the final minutes and George Bullock was on hand to complete the goal feast with a sweetly struck shot into the bottom corner.