Defence fails for Rangers
RIDGEONS LEAGUE PREMIER DIVISION Clacton Town 5 Soham Town Rangers 4 SOHAM striker Charles Libam was up-staged by Clacton s Sean Hillier, whose first of four strikes was his 100th goal in his 200th appearance for the Seasiders. It was a nine-goal treat
RIDGEONS LEAGUE PREMIER DIVISION
Clacton Town 5
Soham Town Rangers 4
SOHAM striker Charles Libam was up-staged by Clacton's Sean Hillier, whose first of four strikes was his 100th goal in his 200th appearance for the Seasiders.
It was a nine-goal treat for the neutrals, but Soham boss Ian Benjamin was left exasperated by his team's defence, which leaked three goals in nine minutes to ensure that Libam's hat-trick was in vain.
Rangers got off to a dream start when Libam headed home Keke St Hilaire's corner in the fifth minute.
- 1 Petition launched to save village pub
- 2 Pub company comes out fighting to keep controversial cuppa sign
- 3 Man suffers injuries after A142 morning crash
- 4 Father accused of baby daughter's murder gave her squash, court told
- 5 'Our dog was our motivation’ - couple behind organic dog treats business
- 6 Disciplinary action against anti-Pride pastor ‘never, ever about his religion’
- 7 Two food businesses closed after cockroach infestations found
- 8 WATCH: Emotional tribute to honour and remember crash victim
- 9 Gary takes Dry January to next level with mental health challenge
- 10 Teenage moped rider seriously injured in crash
The hosts pulled level five minutes later when Keith Hetherington scored his 50th Clacton goal, after Soham failed to clear a free-kick.
The Soham backline then caved in and conceded three goals in nine minutes.
Hillier's landmark goal in the 23rd minute put Clacton in front, and the same man made it 3-1 when he beat Simon Flanz to a challenge in the goalmouth after Dean Greygoose had been lobbed.
Hillier then completed a first-half hat-trick with a finish from close-range after a low cross from the by-line.
Soham gave themselves a life-line when Libam made it 4-2 in the 48th minute, by knocking in the rebound after Andy Coleman headed into the crossbar following a corner.
But Clacton re-established their three-goal cushion when Hillier scored a diving header at the far post after a fine cross from the right.
Soham refused to surrender and Libam made it 5-3 with a close-range strike after another St Hilaire corner in the 84th minute, and their final goal came three minutes later substitute Scott Carter coolly finished from a one-on-one situation after being played in by Libam.
Benjamin said: "Our defence was very, very poor and I really feel for our forward players, and Michael Simpson in midfield, who deserved a lot more."
- Soham's Cambs Invitation Cup fixture at home to Over was postponed on Tuesday because of a waterlogged pitch. Re-arrangements are to be confirmed.
Soham are away to Norwich United in the league on Saturday and they play Fakenham at home in the Ridgeons League Cup Quarter-Final the following Tuesday.