Cyclone’ powers to PB as Staite puts his skates on
IN difficult conditions 16 riders competed in the Ely & District Cycling Clubs 10 mile race from Witchford to Sutton last Tuesday Despite the strong wind and leg burning rise to the finish there was some close finishing times and superb individual effor
IN difficult conditions 16 riders competed in the Ely & District Cycling Clubs' 10 mile race from Witchford to Sutton last Tuesday
Despite the strong wind and leg burning rise to the finish there was some close finishing times and superb individual efforts.
Andy 'Cyclone' Clarke recorded a personal best with a superb 24min 12secs and young Harvey Leadbeater powered through the turbulence to record his best 10 mile result to date with a fantastic 30:50.
Blistering pedal work from Ely thoroughbreds Colin White-church and Geoff Brewster made for some close timings with Whitechurch this time getting the better of his stablemate with 23:34 compared to Brewster's 23:42.
You may also want to watch:
Good, strong riding also came from Andy Stephen, Richard Winrow and Eddie Green and the club's first female rider Celia Whitechurch was also in form with 30:03.
The fastest time of the evening was clocked at 22:05 by Cambridge Cycling Club's Dan Staite with East District road legend Alan Newark of Cycling Club Breckland recording 23:20.
- 1 Over 100 modern slavery victims rescued in Cambridgeshire
- 2 WATCH: The Fens celebrates its own 'Ark of Triumph'
- 3 Man found dead in March
- 4 Jail for 'despicable' burglary on 93-year-old man with dementia
- 5 Motion calls for community housing review in four villages
- 6 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 7 Church to hold churchyards training day
- 8 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 9 MP oversees climate change mock debate at Ely College
- 10 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
Thanks go to Ely time trial ace Brian Cooper and club supporter Peter Land who faithfully recorded riders times.
The next event will be Tuesday, will be a 25 mile test on the Witchford to Chatteris course.
Riders should meet at the Witchford Pavillion approximately 15 mins before the official start time of 7.30pm
All you need is a bike with brakes and a bit of determination.
For more details check out the website www.elycyclingclub.com or telephone Marc Cox on 01223 263862.
1. Dan Staite (Cambridge CC) 22:05
2. Alan Newark 23:20
3. Colin Whitechurch 23:34
4. Geoff Brewster 23:42
5. Andy Bright (St Ives) 24:05
6. Andy Clarke 24:12
7. Robert Dyke 24:51
8. Gary Welsh 24:55
9. Andy Stephen 25:48
10. Richard Winrow 26:42