Ely cyclists impress across different events on busy weekend of racing
- Credit: Archant
Ely & District Cycling Club – B&T Motor Repairs riders were kept busy at the weekend while achieving some impressive results.
Members took part in two 10-mile trials on Saturday, September 12, with Mathew Eley and Derek Ricketts racing on the B43/10 course near Bungay.
Eley finished 12th overall in 21:42, while Ricketts stopped the clock in 23:13, just 30 seconds shy of his personal best amid windy conditions.
Darran Bennett averaged just under 30mph on the E2/10 course along the A11, clocking a time of 20 minutes and four seconds in a fourth-place finish.
Rob Golding and Will Shepherd also completed the race, coming 20th and 83rd in 21:13 and 23:20 respectively.
Golding returned to action on Sunday, September 13 in the Cambridge CC 25-mile event on the F2A/25 course along the A428 near Cambourne, where despite dropping his chain during the ride, he set a new distance personal best for 25 miles of 53:15.
John Manlow also had an eventful race, finishing in 54:48 despite taking a wrong turn earlier on, while Alison Fox ended her first open 25-mile event in 1:07:59.
- 1 21st century agreement on future of 17th century pub
- 2 ‘It’s sadly coming to a natural end’ - restaurant to close its doors by August
- 3 ‘It’s been very rewarding’ - Letizia amazed by support for La Strega
- 4 Village barn struck by arsonists in 4am blaze
- 5 New bid for housing thwarted by Great Crested Newts
- 6 Littleport 'hit and run' on Victoria Street
- 7 Change of plan for A142 Mepal bridge works as July closures announced
- 8 Florist 'busier than ever' hoping to build from lockdown success
- 9 Axing BBC TV news from Cambridge 'a backward step' says MP
- 10 Explained: What the cost of living support package means for you
Father and son duo Josh and Harvey Woodroffe took part in the second Ashwell Summer Cyclocross race last Sunday.
Harvey earned a third-place podium spot in the under 10s race having battled to come 11th place, while Josh finished 22nd in his second competitive bike race.