Ely cyclists impress across different events on busy weekend of racing
- Credit: Archant
Ely & District Cycling Club – B&T Motor Repairs riders were kept busy at the weekend while achieving some impressive results.
Members took part in two 10-mile trials on Saturday, September 12, with Mathew Eley and Derek Ricketts racing on the B43/10 course near Bungay.
Eley finished 12th overall in 21:42, while Ricketts stopped the clock in 23:13, just 30 seconds shy of his personal best amid windy conditions.
Darran Bennett averaged just under 30mph on the E2/10 course along the A11, clocking a time of 20 minutes and four seconds in a fourth-place finish.
Rob Golding and Will Shepherd also completed the race, coming 20th and 83rd in 21:13 and 23:20 respectively.
You may also want to watch:
Golding returned to action on Sunday, September 13 in the Cambridge CC 25-mile event on the F2A/25 course along the A428 near Cambourne, where despite dropping his chain during the ride, he set a new distance personal best for 25 miles of 53:15.
John Manlow also had an eventful race, finishing in 54:48 despite taking a wrong turn earlier on, while Alison Fox ended her first open 25-mile event in 1:07:59.
- 1 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 2 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 3 Triple judo Olympic champion to give masterclass for Ely Dojo
- 4 G's to help save Christmas for poultry industry
- 5 HGV driver courses set up to help meet critical shortages
- 6 New Ely cinema, royal visit, Welney gets a hall and Thomas a new car
- 7 Yellow weather warning issued for Cambridgeshire
- 8 High-flying 'humble' gymnast, 9, top of the tree on county debut
- 9 Motion calls for community housing review in four villages
- 10 Seven men jailed for stealing bikes worth £70k
Father and son duo Josh and Harvey Woodroffe took part in the second Ashwell Summer Cyclocross race last Sunday.
Harvey earned a third-place podium spot in the under 10s race having battled to come 11th place, while Josh finished 22nd in his second competitive bike race.