Ely cyclists impress across different events on busy weekend of racing
- Credit: Archant
Ely & District Cycling Club – B&T Motor Repairs riders were kept busy at the weekend while achieving some impressive results.
Members took part in two 10-mile trials on Saturday, September 12, with Mathew Eley and Derek Ricketts racing on the B43/10 course near Bungay.
Eley finished 12th overall in 21:42, while Ricketts stopped the clock in 23:13, just 30 seconds shy of his personal best amid windy conditions.
Darran Bennett averaged just under 30mph on the E2/10 course along the A11, clocking a time of 20 minutes and four seconds in a fourth-place finish.
Rob Golding and Will Shepherd also completed the race, coming 20th and 83rd in 21:13 and 23:20 respectively.
Golding returned to action on Sunday, September 13 in the Cambridge CC 25-mile event on the F2A/25 course along the A428 near Cambourne, where despite dropping his chain during the ride, he set a new distance personal best for 25 miles of 53:15.
John Manlow also had an eventful race, finishing in 54:48 despite taking a wrong turn earlier on, while Alison Fox ended her first open 25-mile event in 1:07:59.
- 1 Both drivers seriously injured after head on crash
- 2 Popular food and leisure hub plans win over planners
- 3 Quick-thinking officer who stopped man jumping onto A14 honoured
- 4 £4.8m loan to transform office block into flats repaid
- 5 Hospitals raise car parking costs for first time in six years
- 6 Doddington Minor Injuries Unit to temporarily close
- 7 Meet the boat hire firm aiming to become perfect 'stress-free' tonic
- 8 Captured Cambridgeshire man 'charged with mercenary activities' by Russia
- 9 Woman dies following crash on A1303
- 10 Take a look inside £600,000 period home with 'outstanding charm'
Father and son duo Josh and Harvey Woodroffe took part in the second Ashwell Summer Cyclocross race last Sunday.
Harvey earned a third-place podium spot in the under 10s race having battled to come 11th place, while Josh finished 22nd in his second competitive bike race.