Bennett recovers from loose chain to continue dominant form for Ely and District Cycling Club
- Credit: Archant
A loose chain failed to stop Darran Bennett from maintaining his impressive form of late at the latest Ely & District Cycling Club – B&T Motor Repairs meeting.
Bennett saw his chain, which fell off during the Shaftesbury 50-mile open event, come loose again while he was racing in a club event on Tuesday, August 4, which was reduced from 25 miles to a 10-mile race due to resurfacing works between Mepal and Chatteris.
But despite the mechanical issue requiring him to stop, Bennett still came home in a winning time of 21:47, followed by Rob Golding in 22:16 and John Manlow in 24:19.
Will Shepherd averaged over 25mph to finish in 23:52, while Martin Brown, Jason Ward and Alison Holmes recorded times of 24:19, 29:13 and 29:59 respectively.
Guest riders Stuart Day and Andy Bright also came home in 22:07 and 25:13.
You may also want to watch:
Last weekend, Manlow was the sole Ely member in the Bedfordshire RCC 25-mile race on the F1/B course at Biggleswade, finishing 54th in a 115-strong field in a time of 57:09.
- 1 'Well, here's another nice mess you've gotten me into'
- 2 New Google Search data reveals Ely is one of Britain’s most tired cities
- 3 Fifteen flood alerts in place amid 'stay indoors' warning
- 4 Flooding highlights outline of English Civil War fort as rain fills moat
- 5 Bronze pig found at bottom of garden could be worth £10,000
- 6 Vaccinated nurse tells of 'incredibly stressful' situation
- 7 More GP surgeries prepare to give Covid-19 vaccinations
- 8 Ely Cathedral's Covid-19 vaccination centre application was turned down
- 9 High life ends for Bentley owning drug dealer
- 10 City runners out to go extra mile for charity cash