Bennett recovers from loose chain to continue dominant form for Ely and District Cycling Club
- Credit: Archant
A loose chain failed to stop Darran Bennett from maintaining his impressive form of late at the latest Ely & District Cycling Club – B&T Motor Repairs meeting.
Bennett saw his chain, which fell off during the Shaftesbury 50-mile open event, come loose again while he was racing in a club event on Tuesday, August 4, which was reduced from 25 miles to a 10-mile race due to resurfacing works between Mepal and Chatteris.
But despite the mechanical issue requiring him to stop, Bennett still came home in a winning time of 21:47, followed by Rob Golding in 22:16 and John Manlow in 24:19.
Will Shepherd averaged over 25mph to finish in 23:52, while Martin Brown, Jason Ward and Alison Holmes recorded times of 24:19, 29:13 and 29:59 respectively.
Guest riders Stuart Day and Andy Bright also came home in 22:07 and 25:13.
You may also want to watch:
Last weekend, Manlow was the sole Ely member in the Bedfordshire RCC 25-mile race on the F1/B course at Biggleswade, finishing 54th in a 115-strong field in a time of 57:09.
- 1 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 2 Daughter sets fire to father's bedroom after food outrage
- 3 Sparkling sake brewery launches in Ely
- 4 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 5 Police buy clothes for Iranian children rescued from lorry
- 6 Woman delighted to finally be a mum after infertility heartache
- 7 Child rapist from St Ives has been jailed after abuse
- 8 Have your say on plans to improve city rail station
- 9 Teen rape case prompts city market safety review
- 10 St Neots murder to feature in 24 Hours in Police Custody