Ely juniors shine in cyclocross racing
- Credit: Archant
Members of the Ely & District Cycling Club - B&T Motor Repairs of all ages were racing in the Diss CC Suffolk Supercross event.
It took place on Saturday in Redgrave, Suffolk, but the highlight of the day was the performances put in by some of the junior members.
In the under 10s race Harvey Woodroffe raced to 7th despite being gridded at the back of the field.
In the under 12s race Kieran Vanhoutte also had to battle his way through the field after a slip on the first lap, but did so with great determination to finish in 9th place.
In the youth race Tom Lewis was returning to competition after having broken his arm.
He raced hard with Isaac Barton throughout the race.
In the end, Barton's superior technique on the hurdle was not enough to make up for Lewis's speed on the bike, and Lewis finished ahead in 22nd place (8th place in the Under 14s category) with Barton one place and 25 seconds back in 23rd place.
- 1 Pedestrian struck on Ely Road in Littleport
- 2 21st century agreement on future of 17th century pub
- 3 ‘It’s sadly coming to a natural end’ - restaurant to close its doors by August
- 4 Littleport 'hit and run' on Victoria Street
- 5 Council bans use of agricultural land to extend garden
- 6 Former Baptist chapel to be turned into four-bedroom house
- 7 Councillor hits out at 'huge intransigence' over splash pad project
- 8 Shoplifter, 33, who assaulted woman is on the run
- 9 Mexican restaurant to open inside former Frankie & Benny's in Ely
- 10 Florist 'busier than ever' hoping to build from lockdown success
Andrew Hambling finished just a few places back in 29th.
Ferenc Vanhoutte was the club's sole representative in the veterans race, finishing 41st, while in the grand veterans race Martin Holland finished in 36th place and Simon Hambling in 56th.