Ely juniors shine in cyclocross racing
- Credit: Archant
Members of the Ely & District Cycling Club - B&T Motor Repairs of all ages were racing in the Diss CC Suffolk Supercross event.
It took place on Saturday in Redgrave, Suffolk, but the highlight of the day was the performances put in by some of the junior members.
In the under 10s race Harvey Woodroffe raced to 7th despite being gridded at the back of the field.
In the under 12s race Kieran Vanhoutte also had to battle his way through the field after a slip on the first lap, but did so with great determination to finish in 9th place.
In the youth race Tom Lewis was returning to competition after having broken his arm.
You may also want to watch:
He raced hard with Isaac Barton throughout the race.
In the end, Barton's superior technique on the hurdle was not enough to make up for Lewis's speed on the bike, and Lewis finished ahead in 22nd place (8th place in the Under 14s category) with Barton one place and 25 seconds back in 23rd place.
- 1 Over 100 modern slavery victims rescued in Cambridgeshire
- 2 Jail for 'despicable' burglary on 93-year-old man with dementia
- 3 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 4 Man found dead in March
- 5 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 6 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 7 Mosque trust named RIBA client of the year 2021
- 8 Fireworks join Christmas lights on the Covid cancelled list for Ely
- 9 Police investigation after village pavilion covered in graffiti
- 10 Police pursuit of suspected hare coursers ends in success
Andrew Hambling finished just a few places back in 29th.
Ferenc Vanhoutte was the club's sole representative in the veterans race, finishing 41st, while in the grand veterans race Martin Holland finished in 36th place and Simon Hambling in 56th.