CYCLING: First Go Racing event is a hit at Ely and District Cycling Club
- Credit: Archant
With the competition season reaching its peak, the Ely and District Cycling Club held the first of its Ely Go Racing events last weekend.
During an evening of entertaining racing, Kitty Richards won the girls’ race, with Siobhan Skeels coming second and Maya Hatch third.
In the age category races, Alex Croft was the fastest of the under 9s, with Kieran Vanhoutte and Harry Smith following in second and third places respectively.
Tom Lewis won under 11s race, with Oliver Sinden second and Jamie Dorrington and in the under 16s category first place went to Alex Cooper, second place to Isaac Barton, and third place to Kitty Richards.
The club’s senior members have also been busy, with Rob Golding and Darran Bennett competing in the last of the four Thursday evening VTTA events held at Six Mile Bottom.
You may also want to watch:
On a fast night, Rob Golding set a time of 20:50 with Darran Bennett coming home in a time of 23:44.
Golding raced again on Saturday at the Fenland Clarion 25 together with John Manlow.
- 1 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 2 Daughter sets fire to father's bedroom after food outrage
- 3 Police buy clothes for Iranian children rescued from lorry
- 4 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 5 Have your say on plans to improve city rail station
- 6 Sparkling sake brewery launches in Ely
- 7 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 8 Teen rape case prompts city market safety review
- 9 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 10 Child rapist from St Ives has been jailed after abuse
Rob finished in 57:05 - a time good enough to give him fifth place overall - and John finished in 1:02:03.
The following day, Martin and Alison Holmes raced on the B25/8 course near Snetterton, and both set new personal bests with times of 56:19 and 1:09:52 respectively.