On and off-road racing for Ely cyclists in a mixture of time trial racing and mountain biking
- Credit: Archant
Members of the Ely & District CC - B&T Motor Repair took part in a mixture of time trial racing and mountain bike racing.
Last Saturday four riders competed in the VTTA race on the E2/10 course near Newmarket.
The fastest Ely & District CC - B&T Motor Repair rider was again Darran Bennett, who finished in 8th place overall out of 103 riders in a time of 20 minutes and one second over the 10 mile course, just short of a 30mph average speed.
The next fastest Ely rider was Derek Ricketts in a time of 21:46, a new course personal best for Ricketts.
Steve Peck and Will Shepherd finished in times of 22:10 and 22:40 respectively.
You may also want to watch:
On Sunday, John Manlow raced in the CC Breckland 50 mile race on the B50/20 course, an event which nearly had to be cancelled due to a car driver overturning their vehicle on the course.
Happily the police cleared the vehicular debris quickly, and the race could go ahead with only a 30 minute delay.
- 1 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 2 Binmen revolt over alleged bullying, poor pay, low morale and staffing crisis
- 3 £330,000 fraudster burning evidence as police raid his home
- 4 Three charged after £2m Hotpoint arson attack
- 5 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
- 6 Woman pedestrian in her 50s killed in guided busway crash
- 7 Retired murder detective, Russell, releases first book in new crime series
- 8 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 9 Residents asked to share ideas on how improve cycling and walking in East Cambs town
- 10 Ely Cathedral hosts legendary jockey Frankie Dettori's only book signing
Despite the delayed start, Manlow still managed to complete the 50 mile course in under two hours in a time of 1:57:41.
Sunday also saw Ely & District CC - B&T Motor Repair members Mathew Eley and Mikie Burrell racing in the Mud Sweat and Gears Central race at Rushmere near Leighton Buzzard.
Both were competing in the In the men’s sport category and Eley finished in 5th place on eight, completing eight laps in 1:26:54 while Burrell finished in 11th place, completing six laps in 1:20:57.
Junior member Ollie Sinden was racing off road on Sunday, taking part in the MIH Downhill mountain bike race at the Forest of Dean.
In his first race since breaking his wrist in June this year, Sinden completed the day’s racing in 19th place in the Under 12 category after his two runs.