Cup victory for all-conquering Littleport
- Credit: Archant
Cricket roundup LITTLEPORT Town capped a superb season with victory over Abington III in the Cambs and Hunts Lower Junior Cup.
Littleport captain Chris Farnell won the toss and Abington were put in to bat.
Jamie Leonard and youngster Conor Logan immediately set about the Abington top order, who started reasonably.
Having set a decent foundation at 42 for 1, however, Abington capitulated and could only manage a total of 87 in 27.5 overs before they were bowled out.
Littleport’s James South took 3-4, Jamie Leonard 2-35, Chris Farnell 2-16 and Chris Tull 2-3.
You may also want to watch:
It was a tough day for the Abington batsmen, with Colin Godsmark (22) and Jamie Ketteridge (13) being the only batsmen to reach double figures.
Littleport’s batting has been as strong as their bowling this season, with three players scoring centuries to date.
- 1 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 2 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 3 Police pursuit of suspected hare coursers ends in success
- 4 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 5 Police investigation after village pavilion covered in graffiti
- 6 Meet the star cast of Christmas pantomime Sleeping Beauty
- 7 Mosque trust named RIBA client of the year 2021
- 8 US jets to practice flypast over Suffolk this morning
- 9 Council expects to spend £2.4m less on older people due to 'Covid loss'
- 10 Envar deny responsibility for county's fly invasion
On this occasion, batting honours went to Scott Connop, who left the field unbeaten on 27 - winning him man-of-the-match from the umpires. Nicky Marsh continued a fine run of form hitting 22.
Harry Franklin, James Brookman, Jonathan Webb and Ketteridge all took a wicket, but, within 20 overs, South struck the winning runs in honour of his grandfather, Norman South, who led Littleport Town when they last won the cup in 1988.
Littleport are looking to restart a second team and, potentially, a youth team for the start of next season. If anyone is interested visit www.littleportcc.com or e-mail the club firstname.lastname@example.org