Cup victory for all-conquering Littleport
- Credit: Archant
Cricket roundup LITTLEPORT Town capped a superb season with victory over Abington III in the Cambs and Hunts Lower Junior Cup.
Littleport captain Chris Farnell won the toss and Abington were put in to bat.
Jamie Leonard and youngster Conor Logan immediately set about the Abington top order, who started reasonably.
Having set a decent foundation at 42 for 1, however, Abington capitulated and could only manage a total of 87 in 27.5 overs before they were bowled out.
Littleport’s James South took 3-4, Jamie Leonard 2-35, Chris Farnell 2-16 and Chris Tull 2-3.
It was a tough day for the Abington batsmen, with Colin Godsmark (22) and Jamie Ketteridge (13) being the only batsmen to reach double figures.
Littleport’s batting has been as strong as their bowling this season, with three players scoring centuries to date.
- 1 Motorcyclist in serious condition after A142 tractor crash
- 2 Jail for fraudulent accountant who tried to steal £200k of employer’s money
- 3 Family banned from turning garage into dining room
- 4 Surgery’s renovation project takes next step forward
- 5 Cricket club's bid to be 'loud and proud' thanks to new ground
- 6 'He saved my life' - Karolina thanks optician after spotting unknown brain tumour
- 7 Two suffer serious injuries after A10 crash
- 8 Bank cards, electrical items and jewellery stolen in burglary
- 9 Alisa, 17, on how refillable candle business went viral in just five months
- 10 Cyclist in hospital with life-threatening injuries after crash
On this occasion, batting honours went to Scott Connop, who left the field unbeaten on 27 - winning him man-of-the-match from the umpires. Nicky Marsh continued a fine run of form hitting 22.
Harry Franklin, James Brookman, Jonathan Webb and Ketteridge all took a wicket, but, within 20 overs, South struck the winning runs in honour of his grandfather, Norman South, who led Littleport Town when they last won the cup in 1988.
Littleport are looking to restart a second team and, potentially, a youth team for the start of next season. If anyone is interested visit www.littleportcc.com or e-mail the club firstname.lastname@example.org