Cup holders Ely are dumped out in “embarrassing” defeat to Foxton
- Credit: Archant
Football Cambs Invitation Cup Ely City 1 Foxton 4
Robins boss Alan Alsop said he had “never been so embarrassed” in the wake of his side’s abject defeat to lower league Foxton on Tuesday night.
Despite taking an early lead through Austen Diaper, Ely never had control of the game and Foxton, who play two leagues lower, took full advantage as they booked their place in the next round of the competition.
Alsop said: “It was embarrassing. I’ve never been so embarrassed in my life. I was totally and utterly disgusted by all of them. Foxton utterly and thoroughly deserved to beat us.
“The players thought it was going to be easy but after we scored we fell to pieces. There was no fight, no heart, they were a shadow of the players they are and I don’t know the answer at the moment.
“The concentration levels are poor and confidence is rock bottom at the moment. The players seem to just go into hiding mode when things get difficult.”
Diaper opened the scoring for Ely in the first five minutes but goals from Ian Cambridge and Jonathan Milne put Foxton in front before half-time. After the break, Martin Turner hit a brace to see his side to victory and Ely tumbling to defeat.
- 1 Woman, 80, dies following A141 crash
- 2 Pair trapped after A142 crash rescued from ditch
- 3 'Rubberneckers' cause second crash trying to view overturned lorry
- 4 Village farm buildings targeted in arson attack
- 5 Have you seen Harry Gibson? He's wanted by police
- 6 Chapel conversion withdrawn following stinging rebuke
- 7 Councillors left disappointed as decision made on £37m station project
- 8 Both drivers seriously injured after head on crash
- 9 Two women fighting for life after A141 crash
- 10 Ely and Cambridge for Neil Hilgrove Colledge recitals
The Robins will need to pick themselves up again for Saturday as they head to high-flyers Brantham Athletic in the Thurlow Nunn League.