CRICKET: Super start to the Cambs Senior League season for City of Ely
- Credit: Archant
City of Ely have enjoyed a terrific start to the new Cambs Senior League season.
The local lads recorded a second successive Division Three victory when breezing to an eight-wicket triumph at Audley End last Saturday.
City restricted their hosts to 164-7 in a rain-affected contest before breezing past that target with 15 overs to spare.
Aussie import Greg Blake was the pick of the City bowlers with 4-21 although they were guilty of letting their hosts off the hook somewhat after reducing them to 54-7 at one stage.
But it didn’t prove costly as the City batsman blitzed their way to victory. Openers Jonny Wallace (43) and Michael Sellers (25) made quickfire contributions before unbeaten knocks of 49 from Ben Cross and 45 from Ed Aniskowicz finished the job.
You may also want to watch:
Captain Sellers said: “I was very pleased with the way we bowled to reduce Audley End to 54-7 and it was disappointing to let them back into the game from that position.
“However, getting another quick start with the bat was key and that enabled us to score the runs before more heavy rain arrived.”
- 1 Binmen revolt over alleged bullying, poor pay, low morale and staffing crisis
- 2 Woman pedestrian in her 50s killed in guided busway crash
- 3 Plans revealed for new A10 pedestrian bridge
- 4 'I feel alive for the first time': Slimmer lost half his body weight in lockdown
- 5 Ely Cathedral hosts legendary jockey Frankie Dettori's only book signing
- 6 Memorial stone for Cambridge student laid hidden in undergrowth for 80 years
- 7 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 8 Cambridgeshire hospitals busy and staff tired and abused
- 9 Man charged over death threats to deputy Labour leader Angela Rayner
- 10 Matt’s 46-day charity cycle from Burwell to Istanbul raises over £2,000
Cross also top-scored with 42 the previous weekend when City launched their 2018 campaign with a 119-run success against Great Chishill.
Sellers’ men posted 223-7 before removing their visitors for just 104 with Chris Reay and Richard Vincett claiming three wickets apiece.
City of Ely look to extend their winning streak to three matches when hosting Saffron Walden 3rds at the Paradise Centre, 1pm.