CRICKET: Another success is ‘Cross-ed’ off as Ben steers City of Ely to victory
- Credit: Archant
City of Ely continued their super start to the Cambs Senior League season with a dominant success last Saturday.
Michael Sellers’ men thumped Saffron Walden 3rds by eight wickets at the Paradise Centre to register a third consecutive Division Three victory.
City of Ely restricted the visitors to 188-7 on a good batting surface – Chris Reay and Owen Buxton claiming two wickets apiece - and had no problem in breezing past that total with six overs to spare.
Ben Cross starred with an unbeaten 78 after a 50 partnership from openers Jonny Wallace and Sellers had laid solid foundations. Ed Aniskowicz finished unbeaten on 25.
But skipper Sellers is expecting a tougher test this Saturday when City face a trip to a Newport side also expected to challenge for promotion. They will be without Cross, who has top-scored in all three outings so far
You may also want to watch:
Skipper Sellers said: “This Saturday will provide an opportunity for others to spend time at the crease and score runs.
“We have excellent depth with bat and ball. It hasn’t really been needed with the bat in the first three games, but it will certainly be tested at some point during a long season.
- 1 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 2 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 3 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 4 Police pursuit of suspected hare coursers ends in success
- 5 Police investigation after village pavilion covered in graffiti
- 6 Meet the star cast of Christmas pantomime Sleeping Beauty
- 7 Envar deny responsibility for county's fly invasion
- 8 Mosque trust named RIBA client of the year 2021
- 9 Prison escapees found with stolen £30,000 car thanks to quick-thinking neighbour
- 10 Council expects to spend £2.4m less on older people due to 'Covid loss'