Craig closes in on title
ELY racer Craig Morley picked up a perfect 100 points at Snetterton at the weekend, and is now on the verge of becoming the Aprilia RS 125 Superteen champion. Morley won all four of his races and, with his main rival Connor Behan below par, it would now t
ELY racer Craig Morley picked up a perfect 100 points at Snetterton at the weekend, and is now on the verge of becoming the Aprilia RS 125 Superteen champion.
Morley won all four of his races and, with his main rival Connor Behan below par, it would now take a near miracle for the former City of Ely Community College pupil to not claim the title.
Despite looking good in qualifying, recording the fastest lap time of 1:23.953, Behan crashed his bike twice and, with a ninth and a 12th place finish, he collected just 11 points from the meeting. Northwich-based Behan's first crash came in his second race on Saturday when he was leading the pack and, put under pressure by Morley, he attempted to accelerate too quickly on a corner.
Morley was sublime, keeping total concentration throughout, and winning every race with a minimum gap of four seconds to the second-place rider. The 17-year-old's class shone through on the final race of the day when heavy rain caused major problems for Behan and the majority of the other riders. With normal road tyres, Morley blasted through the slippery track, and finished a clear six seconds clear of second placed rider James Dye with a time of 13:32.301. Behan finished this race in 12th place.
You may also want to watch:
Morley is now set to reap the rewards of his remarkable consistency and, with just two races remaining, he has a 108-point lead over Behan.
Morley just needs to come away with a 101 point lead from the next race meeting at Pembrokeshire this weekend to claim the title, and his final meeting of the year is at Brands Hatch on October 7 and 8.
- 1 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 2 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 3 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 4 Mosque trust named RIBA client of the year 2021
- 5 Police investigation after village pavilion covered in graffiti
- 6 8 of the best shows coming to Cambridgeshire in November
- 7 Police pursuit of suspected hare coursers ends in success
- 8 Fireworks join Christmas lights on the Covid cancelled list for Ely
- 9 Meet the star cast of Christmas pantomime Sleeping Beauty
- 10 Christmas comes early as festive lights couple hold trial switch-on
Next year the Ely-based rider is looking to move up to a new event, the Suzuki 600 Superstocks, and this will receive live television coverage. Anyone interested in sponsoring him should contact his father and manager, Mark Morley, on 01353 688410 or 07745 894334.