County’s top talent on show at Ely tournament
- Credit: Archant
Bowls A GROUP of 50 young bowlers came to Ely for the annual City of Ely Open Junior Pairs event on Saturday.
Since the first event was held five years ago, it has continued to grow and be well supported and this year an enthusiastic band of parents, grandparents, brothers and sisters encouraged the players.
There was a very strong contingent from the home club and from St Neots together with a sprinkling of talent from Huntingdon, Cambridge and March.
Josh Easy and Robbie Gove from Ely were defending the under 15’s title and in confident mood. In the under 18 section, Ross Martin, having won the county under 16 singles title recently, was also expected to do well in partnership with Josh Lambert.
After a series of fine matches in the group stages, Lucy Akroyd and Chloe Brett played Tom Foulger and Oliver Pleasance in an all Ely under 15’s semi-final, with Foulger and Pleasance coming out on top.
Gove and Easy won the other semi against Adam Barker and Rebecca Morbey from St Neots. In the under 18s Ben Akroyd and Chloe Easy (Ely) lost to Martin and Lambert with Jack Alexander and Nathan Isaacson (Ely) losing to Jamie Barker and Rebecca Thatcher from St Neots.
Both finals were closely fought but Gove and Easy successfully defended their under 15 title, with Martin and Lambert winning the under 18 final. Prizes for all were presented by Ely star bowler and world number 10 Nicky Brett.
- 1 Back garden log cabin needs permission says council
- 2 Preschool 'special in people's hearts' to close after more than 30 years
- 3 BMX star, 11, hopes world debut can lead to Olympics dream
- 4 Daughter pays tribute to model engineer who 'tried his hand at anything'
- 5 Change of plan for A142 Mepal bridge works as July closures announced
- 6 ‘It’s sadly coming to a natural end’ - restaurant to close its doors by August
- 7 ‘Inspirational’ teacher, Esmeralda, honoured in national teaching awards
- 8 21st century agreement on future of 17th century pub
- 9 This Grade II listed Georgian home in Ely could be yours for £575,000
- 10 Platinum Jubilee: The Queen's visits to Cambridgeshire in pictures
For more information on joining the junior ranks at Ely contact Sandra Roberts at the club on 01353 665272.